• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James R Srawley (Born c1878 in Birmingham) – 1901 Census Lookup

Lancaster

master brummie
Hope someone can help please!

I’m trying to find information about my ancestor James R Srawley:

• Where was he in the 1901 Census (I can’t find him)?
  • Where was he between 1911 & 1919 & after 1939?
  • When & where did he die? I can’t find a death entry for him on FreeBMD.

What I do know is:

• Born c1878 in Birmingham (according to the 1881, 1891 & 1911 Censuses).
  • Parents Henry Charles Srawley & Harriett Srawley (nee Lymath).
  • Siblings were Harry, Harriett Lymath, William Ewart, Samuel George & John Clark, all born in Birmingham.
  • According to the 1881 & 1891 Censuses, the family lived in Bordesley, Birmingham at 148 Bolton Road & 331 Bolton Road.
  • From FreeBMD, I believe he married Louisa Elizabeth Yarnall (1900 Q3, Aston, 6d, 578). Does anyone have access to the parish baptism registers which would confirm James’ age, address, occupation & his father’s name & occupation?
  • The 1911 Census indicates Louisa was born c1872 in Aberdare, Wales & they were living at 47 Kenelm Road, Small Heath, Birmingham with their children Lilian, Phylis, Dorothy, James E & Sidney G.
  • In Ancestry’s online Midlands Electoral Registers (which I note cover Birmingham & some of northern Warwickshire), James & Louisa were living at 47 Kenelm Road, Small Heath between 1920 to 1931 & in 1935 & 1939. I can’t find them in any later online Midlands Electoral Registers. As wife Louisa’s death was registered in 1955 in the Registration District of Warwick (see below, assuming I have the correct death!), had they moved out of Birmingham after 1939?

The Srawley surname appears in different sources with different variations eg Srewley, Shrawley, Sprawley, Scrawley.

As the marriage between James & Louisa was registered in the first quarter of 1900, I would have expected them to be living together somewhere in the 1901 Census. A search of FreeBMD for children born to surname Srawley & maiden name Yarnall reveals Dora S (1912), Marjorie H (1914/1915) & Arthur J (1917), although the 1911 Census also reveals earlier born children Lilian (c1902), Phylis (c1904), Dorothy (c1906), James E (c 1908) & Sidney G (c1910). FindMyPast has a death of an Arthur J Srawley aged 1 (1918, Q4, Aston, 6d, 633).

FamilySearch has a death of a Louisa E Srawley aged 82 therefore born c1873 (1955 Q2, Warwick, 9c, 983).

Any help greatly appreciated – I’ve hit a brick wall at the moment!

carolina

master brummie
Hope someone can help please!

I’m trying to find information about my ancestor James R Srawley:

• Where was he in the 1901 Census (I can’t find him)?
  • Where was he between 1911 & 1919 & after 1939?
  • When & where did he die? I can’t find a death entry for him on FreeBMD.

What I do know is:

• Born c1878 in Birmingham (according to the 1881, 1891 & 1911 Censuses).
  • Parents Henry Charles Srawley & Harriett Srawley (nee Lymath).
  • Siblings were Harry, Harriett Lymath, William Ewart, Samuel George & John Clark, all born in Birmingham.
  • According to the 1881 & 1891 Censuses, the family lived in Bordesley, Birmingham at 148 Bolton Road & 331 Bolton Road.
  • From FreeBMD, I believe he married Louisa Elizabeth Yarnall (1900 Q3, Aston, 6d, 578). Does anyone have access to the parish baptism registers which would confirm James’ age, address, occupation & his father’s name & occupation?
  • The 1911 Census indicates Louisa was born c1872 in Aberdare, Wales & they were living at 47 Kenelm Road, Small Heath, Birmingham with their children Lilian, Phylis, Dorothy, James E & Sidney G.
  • In Ancestry’s online Midlands Electoral Registers (which I note cover Birmingham & some of northern Warwickshire), James & Louisa were living at 47 Kenelm Road, Small Heath between 1920 to 1931 & in 1935 & 1939. I can’t find them in any later online Midlands Electoral Registers. As wife Louisa’s death was registered in 1955 in the Registration District of Warwick (see below, assuming I have the correct death!), had they moved out of Birmingham after 1939?

The Srawley surname appears in different sources with different variations eg Srewley, Shrawley, Sprawley, Scrawley.

As the marriage between James & Louisa was registered in the first quarter of 1900, I would have expected them to be living together somewhere in the 1901 Census. A search of FreeBMD for children born to surname Srawley & maiden name Yarnall reveals Dora S (1912), Marjorie H (1914/1915) & Arthur J (1917), although the 1911 Census also reveals earlier born children Lilian (c1902), Phylis (c1904), Dorothy (c1906), James E (c 1908) & Sidney G (c1910). FindMyPast has a death of an Arthur J Srawley aged 1 (1918, Q4, Aston, 6d, 633).

FamilySearch has a death of a Louisa E Srawley aged 82 therefore born c1873 (1955 Q2, Warwick, 9c, 983).

Any help greatly appreciated – I’ve hit a brick wall at the moment!
Theres a death in 14 February 1964 Alcester of a James R Srawley

bewdley

master brummie
1901 has been mistranscribed as Trawley on FMP; James Robert and Louisa Elizabeth Trawley (Louisa born Aberdare Wales) their address is 195 Malmesbury Road.

carolina

master brummie
1901 has been mistranscribed as Trawley on FMP; James Robert and Louisa Elizabeth Trawley (Louisa born Aberdare Wales) their address is 195 Malmesbury Road.

1920/22/25/27 show addresses as either 47 Hugh Road or 47 Kenelm Road Yardley. (I am sorry I am tagging on to yours Bewdley I am not getting the option just reply only reply with quote.

Lancaster

master brummie
Thanks very much carolina & bewdley, that resolves the 1901 Census mystery! I wondered if it had been mis-transcribed in the index, but I can see on the Census image that it looks as though the enumerator has the name written as "Trawley" rather than "Srawley".

Could you tell me please where you found the death entry for 1964? I still can't find it on FreeBMD, Ancestry or FMP!

If anyone can tell me where James, Louisa & family were after 1939, that would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

MWS

master brummie
Louisa Elizabeth Yarnall birth registered Mar qtr 1973 Merthyr Tydfil.

Can't spot her in 1881 or 1891. However in 1871 there is an Alfred Richard and Julia Yarnall living in Aberdare with a daughter Edith Sarah and a sister Ellen Louisa. Alfred Richard is born in Bham 1841.

Unfortunately, and perhaps the reason Louisa is difficult to spot, Alfred died in 1879 and Julia in 1875.

Alfred marriage registered to a Julia Rump Sep qtr 1869 Merthyr Tydfil.

MWS

master brummie
Scratch that. It looks like she is the daughter of Edward Yarnall (which you probably already knew). In 1881 her birth is listed as Bham.

Lancaster

master brummie
Thanks carolina. Having seen some of the replies on this thread, I don't think my lateral thinking on surnames is wide enough!