• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

James(Jimmy) Henry son Robert Henry

Mg26

proper brummie kid
Could anyone tell me if they knew jimmy Henry was from hockley brook area of Birmingham who had a son Robert, Jimmy originally from Randalstown trying to trace family tree thanks know Jimmy had s daughter but dont know her name any Information would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Mg26,

Welcome to the Forum. We're always happy to help with genealogical queries if we can, but it helps if you can give us an indication of dates, other forenames or initials if known. For instance, I assume that Jimmy Henry has passed away, but there are 17 possible deaths for a Jimmy Henry in the Birmingham area alone. His wife's maiden name, if known, would also help when we are trying to trace children. If information relates to someone who may possibly still be alive, answers should be via the private message system - click on the username and then Start a conversation - and Mg26 can read any replies received by clicking on the envelope icon on the top left of every page. Many thanks, but we do try to preserve data privacy.

Maurice :cool:

Hey Maurice many thanks for the reply unfortunately I dont have Jimmy's wife name only he had one son by the name of Robert and one daughter, yes Jimmy would now be deceased, the only certain information I have is that they lived in hockley brook area of Birmingham.

Margaret

As Maurice said - can you give us a vague idea of date. I assume 1900s but that is a big timescale - so a decade would help.

Thanks James was born around 1900 I think he left for england 1915 onwards, I dont have any living relatives who can give me any other information sorry so maybe he married anytime from 1916 onwards I no this is all very vague sorry

also was robert born in birmingham...just been trying to find a birth that fits..can only find one at the min but of course we do not know when robert was born...

robert w hentry born 1921 birmingham

Well, I can confirm that there was one Jimmy Henry born in the Randalstown Sub-District of Antrim between 1898 and 1902. They need you to purchase credits before they will divulge further information, but you can register with GRONI and purchase credits online to get more information.

However, assuming that he was married in Birmingham (and that is a big assumption), and given that he was born between 1898 & 1902, there are 30 Birmingham marriages that might fit the bill!

EDIT: There are five Public Member Trees on Ancestry.com that have a James Henry born in Antrim in that timeframe, but unfortunately none with a Birmingham Connection

EDIT: Of the two (possibly) matching Henry families living in Birmingham at the time of the 1939 Register, one lives at 106 Gillott Road and is a milkman, and the other lives at 243 Slade Road. I have no means of knowing whether either was born in Northern Ireland and children are, of course, blocked out so no names. Neither are that close to Hockley Brook as far as I am aware.

Last edited:
Here's a good site for Irish Records which is free...

James son of Charlotte Henry born 7 Aug 1899.

Charlotte and James are living in Randalstown in 1901, possibly Magheralone Rd, listed as niece and nephew of Margaret Gunn.

Last edited:
Well, I can confirm that there was one Jimmy Henry born in the Randalstown Sub-District of Antrim between 1898 and 1902. They need you to purchase credits before they will divulge further information, but you can register with GRONI and purchase credits online to get more information.

However, assuming that he was married in Birmingham (and that is a big assumption), and given that he was born between 1898 & 1902, there are 30 Birmingham marriages that might fit the bill!

EDIT: There are five Public Member Trees on Ancestry.com that have a James Henry born in Antrim in that timeframe, but unfortunately none with a Birmingham Connection

EDIT: Of the two (possibly) matching Henry families living in Birmingham at the time of the 1939 Register, one lives at 106 Gillott Road and is a milkman, and the other lives at 243 Slade Road. I have no means of knowing whether either was born in Northern Ireland and children are, of course, blocked out so no names. Neither are that close to Hockley Brook as far as I am aware.

yes i found those 2 on the 39 register maurice but no confirmation yet as to which if either is our henry family...

Charlotte and James are living in Randalstown in 1901, possibly Magheralone Rd, listed as niece and nephew of Margaret Gunn.

does this look as though james had no father..henry being his mothers maiden name..just a thought

lyn

Yes, no father listed. illegitimate son of Charlotte.

just wondering if we can find a marriage for charlotte in birmingham...or if she never married look for her on the 39...got the grandson here tonight so ive not much time at the min...

lyn

MWS,

That would account for why there are only four Charlotte Henry entries on the electoral rolls - between 1935 & 1962. All appear to be unmarried or widowed ladies.

Gosh ur a real detective Maurice yes all above is correct my grandad Samuel Henry was 2nd illegitimate son of Charlotte she did marry a Bernard mcCann in burrow in Furness in England, the story told was Bernard was there "father " but we have no prove of it, I'm sorry I have no idea when son Robert was born, my geography of England isnt great a know the large towns and cities, Charlotte was also born in Barrow in furness and returned there and is buried there.

Gosh ur a real detective Maurice yes all above is correct my grandad Samuel Henry was 2nd illegitimate son of Charlotte she did marry a Bernard mcCann in burrow in Furness in England, the story told was Bernard was there "father " but we have no prove of it, I'm sorry I have no idea when son Robert was born, my geography of England isnt great a know the large towns and cities, Charlotte was also born in Barrow in furness and returned there and is buried there.
Any idea how old or when Robert was born, Mg26?

Sorry Maurice I dont

just wondering if we can find a marriage for charlotte in birmingham...or if she never married look for her on the 39...got the grandson here tonight so ive not much time at the min...

lyn
Hey Lyn she married in Antrim as far as I can remember moved and had some of her children there as well, she was born in burrow in furness I hope I've spelt that correctly and then moved back to northern Ireland then back to England were she she lived out the rest of her life, I have cousins in Bolton but they never researched the Henry side as they were descendants of Charlitte Henry and her husband Bernard McCann

Many thanks for all your hard work

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Can anyone tell me catholic church near Hockley brook?

only a stones throw away from hockley brook is st francis roman catholic church in hunters road but equally not that far away is st chads cathedral

lyn

There doesn't appear to be a James Henry with the correct birthdate living in Bham or even England on the 1939 Register. Which could just mean a transciption error.

There is a death for a James Henry registered Bham Sep qtr 1965. Unfortunately it's a few years before they started listing dob with the death instead of just a birth year. So can't be certain it's him.

There is also a death for a Robert Henry registered Bham Jan 1985. Dob is listed as 11 May 1930 but there doesn't appear to be any corresponding birth registered in England or Wales. There's another Robert Henry registered a few years later but there appears to be a corresponding birth and he's not James' son.

On the 1965 electoral roll there are a James, Alice, Henry & Robert living at 170 Park Road. There is a Park Road in the right area but I can't see the record to see if it is and there'd be no ages to determine what the relationship between them would be.

And going back to the James Henry death in 1965, there's a possible death notice in the Bimingham Daily Post 9 Jun 1965 but I can only see the search results which are not always what they seem.

Difficult to be certain of much with the info we have.

MWS, I'm sorry I dont have any other information and it's a long shot may never find the correct branch but at least I can say people been very helpful and I tried, is there be an irish centre in Birmingham?

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thanks lyn just emailed Fr. Kelly PP of St. Francis

ok good luck...i could be wrong but i think you maybe directed to st chads where i believe all records are kept...if i am wrong someone will correct me

lyn

Back