• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James Jenks Worcestershire Regiment

kim hammond

knowlegable brummie
Hello Terry Carter,I have a relative from WW1,named James Jenks who was in Worcestershire Regiment 1st battalion dying in 1917 in Franc, buired i belive at the Menin Gate.. What i would like to ask you how would i find out what medals he would have been rewarded,and like the lovely pictures above ,would there be pictures of him at all with his records ? Regards Kim.

Hello Kim

James Jenks was awarded the Victory medal and the War medal and his family would also have received a Death Plaque or Dead Man's Penny as they were called.

Having the two medals indicates that he did not enter a theatre of war until after the 1 January 1916.

Most WW1 records were kept for pension purposes, so I doubt very much if there are any records surviving for him. Certainly there would be no pictures of him. Maybe there might be a small piece about him in the local B'ham newspapers of the time and sometimes small pictures were published aswell.

If my mate Alan Tucker sees this thread he will look up James Jenks on his database and let you know if there is any information that was published.

regards

Terry

I can just add to what Terry has said,
James Jenks,
Pte 36857 Royal Worcestershire Regt.
Son of James & Nellie Jenks 151, Hockley Hill, Birmingham.
Killed in action 1st August 1917.
Name listed on Panel 34 Ypres Menin Gate Memorial.
Awarded British War Medal & Victory Medal.

Colin

Hi Kim

James Jenks is remembered on the Birmingham Post & Mail War Memorial which is now at Fort Dunlop & is also remembered in 'The Roll of Honour of Birmingham Men & Woman Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War 1914-1918'. His entry can be seen in the Hall of Memory Broad St Birmingham.

Hope this is of help.

Tony

Back