• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James J Grindrod birthdate circa1868

Stempleton

Brummie babby
Do any members have information about James J Grindrod, the fifteen year old gang member who served a three month prison sentence for wounding a rival gang member around 1883. I think he may be related to my 89 year old husband whose mother was a Grindrod & father was a self-styled Peaky Blinder who finished his fighting days in the Kirby Gang. I am editing my husband's memoir so any information would be gratefully received.

It may be possible to prove or disprove, would need your husbands name.

A bit of a guess, was it Leslie Allen maybe?

There is a James John Grindrod born 1866 and a James Grindrod born 1867 who were cousins, the sons of a John (& Phoebe Dodd) and a James (& Elizabeth Bayliss) respectively.

James and Elizabeth had a son, John b1864, father of Maud b1898, mother of Leslie Allen.

Which would make Leslie the first cousin twice removed of James John Grindrod b1866.

If it's not Leslie then ignore.

Where did Brummie thug James Grindrod live who was imprisoned for 3 months in June 1882 guilty of common assault alongside John Adrian whose sentence was 12 months.

as the newspaper article mentions the baggot st gang i think he must have lived in baggot st as there is a james grindrod living there (right age) on the 1881 census looks like he settled down and marr in 1885..think he died in 1924 and is buried at witton cem

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn you are a superstar!
Thank you so very much for telling me what I've spent ages trying to find out!
always happy to help...i have just looked again at the 1881 census for baggot st and there are 2 james grinrods living there of the same age of 15...one is the son of head of house and the other is a james j grinrod nephew of head of house..the newspaper article gives the name of just james grinrod (no middle name) both james grinrods would be related to your husband but was it james grinrod son or james j grinrod nephew who went to prison.

lyn

..here is the 1881 census in case you dont have it..

WARRG11_2999_3003-0653.jpg

just to be clear it the nephew john james grindrod that is buried at witton..his wife was elizabeth (nee grady) grindrod

James John Grindrod​

BIRTH1866
Birmingham, Metropolitan Borough of Birmingham, West Midlands, England
DEATHAug 1924 (aged 57–58)
Birmingham, Metropolitan Borough of Birmingham, West Midlands, England
BURIAL
Witton Cemetery
Witton, Metropolitan Borough of Birmingham, West Midlands, EnglandPLOTJoined Grave: 117 18977EMEMORIAL ID230650016 · View Source

Just to muddy the waters a little.

The nephew (son of John) was registered as James John Grindrod, while the son (son of James) was registered as just James. However, it appears that he was also known as James John, his marriage and death registered as such.

There are 2 death registration for a James John Grindrod - Jun 1923 and Sep 1924 - and they both seem to be buried at Witton.

The James John Grindrod that married Elizabeth gives his father as James, so possibly the son from 1881. James John Grindrod (nephew) seems to marry Martha Myatt.

And to add to the confusion 'just' James Grindrod appears to have had a brother registered as 'just' John Grindrod who is later known as John James Grindrod (mar & death reg.).

I wonder if the mention of Richard may be a mistake or an alias. Can't see any sign of him on the censuses or registrations.

There's a mention of John and William Grindrod of Bagot St (elder brothers of James) in 1883 found guilty of wounding.

Perhaps they just made up variatons of the name? :D
Except he got a good character reference from his employer for whom he had worked for 10 months. Neither entry on 1881 census was as an errand boy.

Does show that even with a fairly uncommon name like Grindrod things still aren't straightforward.

Janice, not very good at transfering photos but if you go to ancestry Midlands Criminal records it has police photos of
James Grindrod age 16, looking like an innocent young man given 3 months for assault and on the next page a very handsome
John Adrian age 19 given 12 months for Unlawful wounding.
Whilst searching criminal records came across a few Grindrods in Lancashire who appear to be petty villians,;)

Last edited:
It may be that the great grandfather of the James John and James mentioned did come from Lancashire. Their fathers, John & James, were the sons of a John who was the son of James and Lydia Grindrod.

James was a wheelwright on Holt St in 1841, birthplace outside of county. Unfortunately he died in 1845, so nothing definite. There is baptism in Rochdale that corresponds, son of Edmund & Isabella and he did have a son Edmund.

Do any members have information about James J Grindrod, the fifteen year old gang member who served a three month prison sentence for wounding a rival gang member around 1883. I think he may be related to my 89 year old husband whose mother was a Grindrod & father was a self-styled Peaky Blinder who finished his fighting days in the Kirby Gang. I am editing my husband's memoir so any information would be gratefully received.
My great grandmas surname was Grindrod she married the Scottish mclarens. I can’t think of their names top of my head I’d have to ask my mom. They lived Aston way. I remember my nan telling me some stuff. I do believe I’m related to your husband

My great grandmas surname was Grindrod she married the Scottish mclarens. I can’t think of their names top of my head I’d have to ask my mom. They lived Aston way. I remember my nan telling me some stuff. I do believe I’m related to your husband
Or she married a gauntlett I can’t remember if it’s my nans or grandads side.

Back