• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

James Family

Stonege

Hi I am searching for a James or Jones that may have lived at 17 The Retreat Bordesley Park Road Small Heath Birmingham possibly just before the WW2. Not sure of first name could have been Doug.

Hi Master Brummie, thank for for info I will fill you in. I have a photo of a young soldier and on the back has the above address.
It also has To Violet Violet with all my love Doug. The other clues are very faint, it looks like T E Jones RAMC no 1461471.
I have been trying to find details of my Partner Graham James father Bernard Clarence James brother, who was killed at Arnham in1944 he was in the parachute regiment. So when we came across this photo after Grahams mum died we did not know this was. It’s a long story but the Hames surname was Bernard’s mothers maiden name. My partner lived in Small Heath and with his family for many years so a true Brummie. Thanks again

So the photo is not the T E Jones (I think he was a lieutenant in the RAMC WW2 - seem to be records on Forces War Records but I can't access
them.
Is Doug the brother who died?
Sorry for all the questions but the more I know the easier it is to search

Last edited:
Is it T E Jones, Doug or Violet you're looking for?

I think I see Bernard's birth and baptism (mother Alice?) but not sure about any other children. Is Doug Bernard's brother, half brother or step brother?

Quite a search to plough through Janice.:)

There was no TE Jones killed at Arnhem and having searched deaths of Douglas (with no specific surname) in both deaths in WW2 and graves in Oosterbeek where the Arnhem casualities were buried I can find no Douglas 1st or 2nd christian name or James , Jones , Jackson surname that fits the
mothers name Alice or the midlands Warks/Shrops area.

I tried TE Jones, Alberta. Came to the conclusion he wasn't killed in war.
Did spot something on 39 reg but need to follow it up before posting.
Thanks for looking.

Back