• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James Elizah Aston Police Special

MILLS

master brummie
Hope I have the correct Forum?
Trying to track down where Police Special James Elizah Aston served within the Birmingham area.
Born in 1888 in Netherton, Dudley and dies 1952 in Bilston.
Served through out the WW1, with apparently no wounds. Joined around June 1909 and discharged around 1919?
I believe he enlisted on 7 November, 1921 in Leinster Regiment in Birmingham. he was living at 166 High Street, Woodside, Dudley which is not far from where he was living in 1939.
He received a Special Constabulary Medal (GV1) for 9 years service? Named James E Aston.
Does anyone know if records are available for the Police, to determine service etc and whether there are rolls identifying when medal was issued.
Thank you.

Hope I have the correct Forum?
Trying to track down where Police Special James Elizah Aston served within the Birmingham area.
Born in 1888 in Netherton, Dudley and dies 1952 in Bilston.
Served through out the WW1, with apparently no wounds. Joined around June 1909 and discharged around 1919?
I believe he enlisted on 7 November, 1921 in Leinster Regiment in Birmingham. he was living at 166 High Street, Woodside, Dudley which is not far from where he was living in 1939.
He received a Special Constabulary Medal (GV1) for 9 years service? Named James E Aston.
Does anyone know if records are available for the Police, to determine service etc and whether there are rolls identifying when medal was issued.
Thank you.
The only place I can think of is West Midlands Police Headquarters, LLoyd House, in Birmingham. I do know that the Police Museum at Steelhouse Lane in Birmingham, has some old Police Officers records, but not sure if any are of 'Specials'.

The only place I can think of is West Midlands Police Headquarters, LLoyd House, in Birmingham. I do know that the Police Museum at Steelhouse Lane in Birmingham, has some old Police Officers records, but not sure if any are of 'Specials'.
Steve,
Thank you I will try these.
I was told that most records had been destroyed, so fingers crossed.
I will let you know the outcome.
David

Steve,
Thank you I will try these.
I was told that most records had been destroyed, so fingers crossed.
I will let you know the outcome.
David
Steve,
Contacted Police Museum who informed me that they only have records for people who say service in Birmingham. They did suggest l contact Dudley Archives. They have some records but I couldn't find anything for my man. Still that's why researching is so rewarding when you track down information.
Thank you for your help.
David

Back