• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

James' Cycles

philbee

birmingham born and bred
good evening all
has anybody any info on the james motorbike in my research into the bike i see the james brand originated in alvechurch road south birmingham or have i got it wrong any photos of this site would be appreciated
phil b

I don't know where they were before, but they opened a new factory in Greet (Tysely) in 1907.

They seem to be listed in the directory under cycles (James Cycle Co) , rather than motorcycles
In 1908 the works is listed as Gough road, Greet, as has been stated. In 1904 it is in Sampson road north.
In 1899 and 1900 Harry James, cycle manufacturer, is at Sampson road north nut the James Cycle co registered office is listed separately at 25 Waterloo St.
In 1896 only Harry James is listed at Sampson Road north
A short history is at https://www.madeinbirmingham.org/james.htm and the James motorcycle website (https://www.simplywizard.co.uk/ ) states that the first motorcycle was made in 1902. I can find no reference to Alvechurch road, though it is possible that some development work was done other than at the factory
Mike

I bought a James moped(!) in the mid-1950s - never saw another one anywhere because i couldn't afford a Vespa or Lambretta like my mates - my big mistake - been the underdog ever since!

I bought a James moped(!) in the mid-1950s - never saw another one anywhere because i couldn't afford a Vespa or Lambretta like my mates - my big mistake - been the underdog ever since!

Underdog ! Never. Do what I do and make out you are A Great British Eccentric......you can get away with all sorts of strange behaviour. :D

( I started with a Norman Nippy moped so I know where you are coming from).

Hi Philbee

I remember the James Cycles factory buildings in Birmingham. The one in Sampson st North. Sparkbrook was alongside the canal. The part of the factory that fronted the street was still there until at least the 70's but by then had been divided up into smaller units.

They also had premises in Tomey Road Greet at some time. The last time I was down Tomey rd the premises were still there but obviously once again they had been converted to units.

Phil

Attachments

• Greet James  Cycles.jpg
    Greet James Cycles.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Sparkbrook James Cycle Ltd Sampson Rd North.jpg
    Sparkbrook James Cycle Ltd Sampson Rd North.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 32
The James, Tomey Rd factory building is now used by a company making plastic guttering and all types of plastic products for house builders, the old Watsonian Sidecar factory is used by Slumber Dream Beds And Bedding Albion Road. Len.

Last edited:

Dave i did not think Lambrettas and Vespas came into popularity till the 60s i had Lambrettas when i was a mod the first was an LD and after a LI and TV

Modmossy:D

This AutoCycle was made during WW2, The James factory was very busy during World War II. Although this production was mainly armaments and aircraft fittings, motor cycles were still being produced. Over 6,000 lightweight motor cycles were supplied to the armed forces. The autocycle too was still being made in limited numbers; these machines were probably supplied to civians undertaking essential war work. The factory was bombed and very badly damaged in December 1940. It was completely rebuilt within three months; however, nearly all of the company's archive material was lost in the bombing.Len.

Last edited:
Had one of these 62-63, might have the book also still, this one in the Coventry Transport Museum :)

Thanks Mossy, yes a Captain, once rode it from Devonport to Brum :), it arrived in Devonport from the sea,
fell off it a few times :)

Thanks Mossy, yes a Captain, once rode it from Devonport to Brum :), it arrived in Devonport from the sea,
fell of it a few times :)

Hi Dave

A friend of mine had a James 250 with reverse gear. He figured that as
the Greeves Invacar also used the Villiers engine and that had reverse,
if he fitted the Greeves gearbox he would also have reverse. It was quite a talking point, and very amusing to watch.

Kind regards

Dave.

James, like so many other B'ham Motorcycle Manufacturers, stayed within the City limits, usually moving to close by buildings if at all. WW II damage was shrugged off. Unlike Triumph whose original City Centre Factory was completely destroyed, hence the move to Meriden. James were never a 'biig' player in the game, unlike Ariel & BSA, but persevered, turning out commuter machines and big, heavy, workhorses. Their V Twin engine powered the three wheel delivery vans so beloved by the Co-Op.
They kept going into the late 60's making a reasonable competition 'bike, (off Road), but failed when Villiers stopped making motorcycle engines. Many 50's & 60's James are used to compete in modern pre 65 Trials & pre65 Scrambles.
As has been said, James switched to War production, but unlike some, kept up the 'bike role with the ML (Military Lightweight) model for air and sea borne assault troops to use. Known as the clockwork mouse, they were an improvement on the Brockhouse Corgi Parachute bike. (See National Motorcycle Museum for examples).

On the subject of reversing 2-Stroikes. Villiers used a simple system of overadvancing the spark thus the engine would start up 'backwards'. This was used in the Bond Mini-car, but could also occur on Motorcycles if the points had not been set and tightened up correctly. Usually, suffering loss of power by firing at TDC, the engine died at a junction. Kicking started it again, but, unbeknown to the rider, the engine was running backwards. A big handful of throttle and... reverse wheelie !

James, like so many other B'ham Motorcycle Manufacturers, stayed within the City limits, usually moving to close by buildings if at all. WW II damage was shrugged off. Unlike Triumph whose original City Centre Factory was completely destroyed, hence the move to Meriden.

Wasn't the Triumph bombed out in Coventry?

My mate John Whitehouse had a "James cadet" when I had a franny barnett, then I changed to a triumph 21 and he bought a Bsa, but went back to a larger James saying he prefered the handling, and style.
paul

James Cycles 001.jpgLooking through some old papers, found this James of Greet advertisement for tricycles and bicycles. Dated January 25th 1951.

Eddie

I have an early 1950's James Motorcycle. I have been told that the petrol tank may have been manufactured by AGS (A.G.Sutherland) Sheetmetal of Pritchett Street, Greet. AGS were predominantly manufacturers of Domestic Gas Meters for the Gas Industry but may also have been sheet metal workers to the motor and motorcycle industries.

Is there anyone out there who worked for James or AGS who can confirm the story?

Emlyn Evans

A company dinner dance in 1939. Names covered by watermark are

Seated together in the centre l to r:
Mr F Woodfield (director)
Mr F A Kimberley (MD)
Mr S Brown (director)
Viv.

image.jpeg

JAMES (GB) 1929.1939
James Cycle Co. Ltd., Birmingham

“This famous factory's first commercial 3-wheeler, the Handyman, was a simple affair with a motorcycle front end and a chain-driven rear axle. Power was provided by a 247 cc 2-stroke Villiers engine, and payload was 5-cwt.

More sophisticated were the 1931 models, which had 500 cc sv v-twin engines of James's own manufacture and some driver-protection, but car ideas emerged for good on the 1933 1096cc Samson, which boasted a welded steel frame, wheel steering, 3-speed unit box, and spiral bevel final drive. There were still no doors, however, and the body was panelled in plywood. Doors and steel panelling became standard wear in 1934, and 1935 Samsons were made in 8-cwt and 12-cwt forms, with room for a passenger seat; an interesting factory option was a 2-wheeled trailer with van bodywork. The last James vans were simpler affairs with more angular styling and doorless cabs. In 1938 the company marketed an open bodied 15-cwt industrial truck equipped for road use. MCS”

Complete encyclopaedia of Commercial Vehicles.

Are next door neighbour, had a "James Captain" I seem to remember, back in early 60's , I used to see it parked outside his house, I think A red and crome tank, lots of crome everywhere, looked really fast to a young lad!!

Back when I was a poor student, the Lambretta LD breathed it's last gasp, and I got hold of a James Cadet. Almost certain that it had a Villiers engine. Ran around on that quite happily until the front forks became a bit suspect. With an MOT due, and no funds to deal with it, I turned to my good mate who was driving a James Captain. Guess what, the front forks were interchangeable apart from a slightly increased ride height. One evening to change the forks, MOT passed, next evening to put his forks back. Of course the MOT tester knew, but in those days (late 60s) they were supportive of us students, and as presented, it was roadworthy, (for some flexible definition of worthy).
Julie was not too keen on being on the back of the James, had to wear plastic bags over her shoes and up her legs in wet weather, and that spoilt the 'look'.
Also regularly took a friend to and from college from our accommodation. He was very tall, and had to fold himself onto the pillion. His knees stuck out so far, I reckon he doubled the width of the bike, and I had to be very careful weaving between traffic when he was on board ! Luckily I never left him sitting wide legged in the road between two cars.
Strangely enough, in later years I was very involved in MOT testing of all sorts of vehicles, including motorcycles, but not doing the actual testing.
Andrew.

Back