• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James Burgoyne photographic collection

I know Lyn, it's just amazing. How brilliant to know what was there originally. Now all we need is for someone to tell us who lived there. We have such brilliant people on this site that I am sure that will happen shortly.

the earliest kelly i have is 1892 a bit after these pics were taken but i will have a look later on...

lyn

I would think that as Corporation Street was built early 1880's or at least demolition started then, it might even be earlier than that. Somone with Find My Past might be able to see from the census as FMP allows an address to be searched unlike Ancestry. This is one of the most exciting finds for me, knowing just where these pictures were taken and then being able to know who lived in the vicinity even if not the house. If that makes me 'sad', well so be it!

must be lot of us saddies on here then shortie lol..after all this is a history forum and this is history....hope we have some luck..

Lyn it has occurred to me that the Cadbury residence and shop was in Bull Street. Thinking of the large garden, and the interest the Cadbury family had in making sure all their employees had a good sized garden so they could grow veggies that were healthy when they built Bournville, has made me wonder if this is the remains of the Cadbury garden? Does that make sense? Wouldn't it be lovely if this was indeed their garden?

Yes, Lyn, if I am sad, I am in good company! LOL

Great photos Lyn - Interesting to see how conditions were in those days before Chamberlain made a difference. Thank you for taking the time to put them on the Forum for us all to enjoy.
Anthea

happy to oblige anthea..it was another world back then wasnt it...

shortie there could be a cadbury connection...im sure if mike and a few other clever members see this they may help in trying to find out who lived at 92/94 bull st in the early 1880s...ive got dinner to sort soon and then watch the footie so will come back to this..its a mission now..

lyn

Last edited:
Lovely pictures as always Lyn thank you. I've got to go and "do" the dinner too but I couldn't resist a quick look at FMP. It only goes up to about 88 on the address search so I went page by page after that. It's
shocking writing but I think it's Samuel Hunt (Hurt) Draper and a list of others at 92/3/4. Will that do for a start?!!
rosie.

rosie in the 1892 kellys ive got

at no 92..paragon trimming warehouse
93..barrow stores tea makers
94..william hunt funeral warehouse

but as shortie has said this date would be after the redevolpment started...the pics were taken 1880/1 so i think we need to go further back...

just out of interest what year did you look up...
lyn

Last edited:
1869 Kelly's: Bull Street, near Page's Passage.

92 Oates & White, linen drapers & c
93 Richard Barrow Cadbury, tea merchant
94 William Hunt, funeral warehouse

thats brilliant edcartermo...i misread the 1892 kelly for no 94 so ive edited my last post..so if william hunt funeral was there in 1869 and ive got him there in 1892 revelopement must have taken place after 1892..no much after though...thanks for your input...

lyn

Well I started looking on the 1841, and no numbers but the Cadbury family were living in Bull Street. Edcartermo has proved that they still had a foothold in Bull Street in 1869, but in 1851 most were in Islington Row and in 1861 Wheeleys Lane.

My gut feeling is that the garden might have been Cadbury's in 1841 - but that is probably guided by the fact that they were non-conformists and non-conformists liked classical shapes, etc, as they were deemed less 'showy'. I might be way out here, but I would like to think that it was a Cadbury garden! Now back to earth, dinner to cook!

i will go along with that shortie as cadburys started out selling tea and coffee.. so if they were at no 93 bull st in 1869 that must have been their back garden..or at least shared with numbers 92 and 94

lyn

Thank goodness I am not on my own in my thinking Lyn. Do you think they would have shared a garden though? I think it's marvellous that we now have some real idea of where exactly they lived.

shortie the reason i think the garden was shared is because the info on the pic i posted says...the rear of numbers 92 to 94 therefore the garden spanned those numbers...cadburys was at no 93 so in the middle of the 3 businesses...actually it says richard barrow cadbury tea merchant it does not really confirm that the cadbury family was there in 1869 but i would imagine as you said earlier thats where they started out from and it could be when they moved on richard barrows continued selling cadburys tea...any road up i am quite happy with the findings...

lyn

Last edited:
I was about to insert my comment that no 93 was the original John Cadbury shop in bull St , which was passed on to Richard Cadbury barrow when John decided to concentrate on chocolate.

Perhaps some numbers did not have a garden Lyn - can you see cultivation being shared? Not to worry, it's Cadbury's garden as far as I am concerned. I wonder what happened to the summer house - hardcore for Corporation Street?

I was about to insert my comment that no 93 was the original John Cadbury shop in bull St , which was passed on to Richard Cadbury barrow when John decided to concentrate on chocolate.

thanks mike for confirming...this is what i thought had happened...so we know for definate now that the garden was shared by john cadbury...love it when a plan comes together and well done shortie for spotting the possable cadbury connection..

lyn

Back