• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James Beresford & Co

anthonyabrahams

Brummie babby
James Beresford & Co. were a silverware and silver-plating company, and from 1866 had premises in Charlotte St which adjoined Elkington & Co. They soon moved to larger premises in Summer Row (around 1874), and then around 1901 moved to Cato St, and changed the business away from silver ware, and towards brass fittings in railway coaches. Finally in 1941 they moved out to Kitts Green and became pump manufacturers.

My interest in them is that my great grandfather worked there from 1866 until 1900, finally as the Works Manager (we think).

I can't find anything on this company anywhere, so if there is anyone out there who knows something about them, then I should be very interested to hear.

Beresford Pumps

Hi Tony,,

I know that Beresford Pump Manufacturors moved/Merged with
another Pump Mnfctr to Coventry,, near Courtaulds Trade Estate?
around 10-12 years ago,
They may have Archival records surviving? worth an ask,
They should be under Pump suppliers etc Coventry Yellow Pages,
Just an idea for you, Cheers John Y :cool:

Beresford pumps

Hi Tony, just dug out my old engineering quotes :)

22 kilowatt Centrifugal Pump Unit from.
Beresford Pumps, Carlton Road, Foleshill Coventry.CV6 &FL
Their new Web address is
www.beresfordpumps.co.uk
This should put you on right track,
Cheers John Y :cool:

Success!

Hi John,

Yes, that is the company. They have another depot in Saltley, and I have just spoken to them. The gentleman who has worked for them since the "Kitts Green days" is away until 18th March, and i will call again then. He apparently knows more than anyone about the history of the company. Anything interesting, I shall post here.

Re: Success!

Hi John,

Yes, that is the company. They have another depot in Saltley, and I have just spoken to them. The gentleman who has worked for them since the "Kitts Green days" is away until 18th March, and i will call again then. He apparently knows more than anyone about the history of the company. Anything interesting, I shall post here.

Hi

Did you ever contact the gentleman from Kitts Green?
I would be interested in the history of Beresford pumps as my late father worked for the company for over 40 years.

Kindest regards

Lyn Mason

Hi Lyn, May i ask was Stan James your Father?, i am Len who was his Brother-in Law until my divorce. Len.

I do realise that this is probably a subject that may not belong to this forum, however I am hoping someone may have some advice that may help me. I have an old railway wash basin and it has James Beresford and Son, Birmingham on it and I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to where I may be able to get an appraisal regarding its value.
Many thanks,

The value of items like this are always subjective and ultimately are what someone is prepared to pay for it. Have a look on eBay and see if there is one on there.

The firm started in 1860 as James Beresford & Co, a silver electroplating and Brittania ware manufacturer in Ludgate hill. It later moved to charlotte st, and later changed too James Beresford & Son then to summer row by 1900. At this time it still seemed to list itself as just an electroplating co. However the 1903 Kelkys shows it as at Cato St and describes it as :
Beresford James & Son, manufacturers of railway metallic sanitary appliances & furniture, also electro plated ware & spoons & forks, Cato Street works, Vauxhall
It may be that before 1900 it also produced railway products, but did not mention them, but it would seem likely that this is probably early 1900, rather than 19th century

There is a small thread specific to James Beresford & Sons.

I mentioned Beresford in this thread:

Last edited:
Is it of the same type as this one?

Is it of the same type as this one?

Couldn't see the pic because the lot was closed but the description sounds similar. Thank you. :0)

The firm started in 1860 as James Beresford & Co, a silver electroplating and Brittania ware manufacturer in Ludgate hill. It later moved to charlotte st, and later changed too James Beresford & Son then to summer row by 1900. At this time it still seemed to list itself as just an electroplating co. However the 1903 Kelkys shows it as at Cato St and describes it as :
Beresford James & Son, manufacturers of railway metallic sanitary appliances & furniture, also electro plated ware & spoons & forks, Cato Street works, Vauxhall
It may be that before 1900 it also produced railway products, but did not mention them, but it would seem likely that this is probably early 1900, rather than 19th century
I have managed to find a fair bit of info on James Beresford & Son from a Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences. They have a picture of a very ornate and beautiful wash basin. Mine is much more plain, however the inside is in great condition and apparently nickel plated. Thank you for your info.
This is the first time I have posted anything on this Forum and I am blown away by the number of responses.
Thank you so much everyone!!!!!!

Not sure if this is the right thread, but saw Biddle and Webb Auctions on Icknield Square from Ladywood Middleway.

I have managed to find a fair bit of info on James Beresford & Son from a Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences. They have a picture of a very ornate and beautiful wash basin. Mine is much more plain, however the inside is in great condition and apparently nickel plated. Thank you for your info.
This is the first time I have posted anything on this Forum and I am blown away by the number of responses.
Thank you so much everyone!!!!!!
Being confined to barracks, as a fire service historian I've been carrying out research into trailer pumps supplied to the Auxiliary Fire Service just prior to World War II and one of the principal manufacturers were James Beresford and Son of Cato Street Works, Birmingham.
Under the heading "Beresford Stork Pumps in Thousands", the Commercial Motor of June 8th 1940 reported "Amongst the most successful of the light trailer pumps built for the A.F.S. and other home defence work are those manufactured by James Beresford & Son which company claims to be the first to supply models with four-cylinder engines, water-cooled sumps and exhaust ejector priming. Their success is shown by the fact that thousands are giving good service".
The "undressed" light, light and medium trailer pumps were in use with the AFS and from 1941, the National Fire Service, and many saw service after the war with the local authority fire brigades.
Looking at some of the company's adverts on the Internet, in 1938 they were advertising their "Douglas" door closer. A 1947 letter regarding various types of pumps gives their address as Kitts Green Works, Mackadown Lane, Marston Green whilst a 1961 advert for pumps shows them at Ace Works, Kitts Green and they were a subsidiary of Cornercraft Limited.
Hope this is of some use.

I'm looking at who lived in my house in Handsworth and on 16.9.1912 it was bought by Herbert James Beresford and Frank William Beresford - manufacturers at the Cato Street Works, Vauxhall. I'm pretty sure that they must be connected with the Beresford Pumps company.

I worked at Beresford pumps for 5 years as an apprentice 1960 -1965, it was a fantastically friendly place to work. My two older brothers also worked there in a small Cornercrofts area of the factory where they dipped car number plates in vats of acid to nickel plate them.
my uncle and cousin also worked there at the same time on the pumps area.
interesting development whilst I was there was the development of the small ‘Oto’ pump for use in fountains and ponds, this was a very successful launch.
I spent two years of my time working in the research and development section where we were working on what would have been the first Dish Washer.
Mackadown Lane factory was closed in the late 1960s

Greetings to all. I was looking at a correspondence string from 2019 about Beresford, maker of basins and latterly, pumps. I have in my possession a Beresford Motor Wash Basin (designed to bolt onto the running boards of vintage or veteran cars presumably - photos attached). Does anyone have any idea of what these items are worth, and whether they are rare or not? Many thanks, from Docnova, Perth, Western Australia.

IMG_4828.JPG

IMG_4836.JPG

Back