• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James Baragwanath & Co

The earliest I can find them trading is in Kelly's 1888 at Smithfield Market, so in time for Queen Victoria.
In 1891 Census Birmingham, there is a James Baragwanath, born 1857, St. Ives Cornwall, Fruit salesman.

Colin

1911 , 88 Alcester road, Moseley

James Baragwanath age 54 born St Ives Cornwall Fruit Commission Agent
Rosetta age 44
all children born Birmingham
Emma 19
Irene 16
Elsie 14
Gordon James 10
William Cecil 9

The male side of the this family possibly died out as Gordon married a lady named Dorothy Webster and they had no children and William Cecil appears not to have married
James Baragwanath died in Cardiff in 1844
Rosetta died in Penzance 1943
Emma who never married died in Cardiff 1947
William Cecil died in Penzance 1960
Gordon died in Birmingham 1978
Finding living relatives would be very difficult.

I Have just been given this photograph of Glover and Baragwanath in the old Birmingham wholesale market. I hope it might bring back a few memories for someone. Taken late 1960's View attachment 86229
My father Ted Warman worked for them. I think they where part of Francis Nicholls then as their logo is on the signage. I worked as a Barrowboy on a Saturday before starting as a salesman when I left school.

.When I worked at Marsh & Baxters in the Garage one of the drivers used to work for Baragwanaths.He used to tell us he used the flat back lorrys to do removals quite a few times.

One of James Bagawanath's daughters named May married Thomas Oliver Bowen the son of John Bowen the builder. I do not know why she is not shown in Alberta's post of 9 Feb 2014. John Bowen & Sons built the Birmingham Victoria Law Courts and were a well known firm of builders 1870 -1963. See web site www.johnbowen.org I am researching the John Bowen Building company and researching buildings built together with the wider family including the fascinating Bagawanath branch

Attachments

• May Bagawanath photo (2).jpg
    May Bagawanath photo (2).jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 14
The earliest I can find them trading is in Kelly's 1888 at Smithfield Market, so in time for Queen Victoria.
In 1891 Census Birmingham, there is a James Baragwanath, born 1857, St. Ives Cornwall, Fruit salesman.

Colin
theres a holiday site at St Ives called Ayr caravan site owned by Baragwanaths

James Baragwanath was my great grandfather, so it's fascinating to read all the history that has been posted in this thread. One of his daughters (Irene) married my grandfather (Arthur Gilbert)- who didnt't work in the markets but set up an advertising agency in Birmingham (Mundy, Gilbert and Troman). My father started a wholesale business in Birmingham market with John Harris (who also had a family history working in the market) and they diversified into a small chain of fruit and veg shops (Stanways) . Sadly the supermarkets took over control and the shops had to close. I have many happy memories of going to the market 40 years ago at 4 in the morning- so full of life and banter!

James Baragwanath was my great grandfather, so it's fascinating to read all the history that has been posted in this thread. One of his daughters (Irene) married my grandfather (Arthur Gilbert)- who didnt't work in the markets but set up an advertising agency in Birmingham (Mundy, Gilbert and Troman). My father started a wholesale business in Birmingham market with John Harris (who also had a family history working in the market) and they diversified into a small chain of fruit and veg shops (Stanways) . Sadly the supermarkets took over control and the shops had to close. I have many happy memories of going to the market 40 years ago at 4 in the morning- so full of life and banter!
Hi Andrew. I am researching the Bowen family (my mother's line) and her uncle Thomas Oliver Bowen married May Baragwanath. I have researched the Baragwanath family a little bit if you are interested. Anthony Collins

Attachments

• May Bagawanath photo (2).jpg
    May Bagawanath photo (2).jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2 shilling token Baragwanath Bros bought 2020.JPG
    2 shilling token Baragwanath Bros bought 2020.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi Anthony, thanks for getting in touch yes I would be very interested. Colonel Jim (Thomas) Bowen was my fathers only cousin. I'm not that up to speed with much of the family history but I know my Mum is so we would delighted to have anything information you have . Andrew

My father started a wholesale business in Birmingham market with John Harris (who also had a family history working in the market) and they diversified into a small chain of fruit and veg shops (Stanways) .
I think I used to shop in a greengrocers called Stanway's in Shirley on Stratford Road.

Hi Andrew. I am researching the Bowen family (my mother's line) and her uncle Thomas Oliver Bowen married May Baragwanath. I have researched the Baragwanath family a little bit if you are interested. Anthony Collins
Hi Anthony. Thank you again for your response. Speaking to my Mum I understand you've been on touch with her and we would be very interested in any information you have on the Bowens/Baragwanaths. Best wishes Andrew

Graham,

I don't know if the genealogists amongst us can make any helpful suggestions on the basis of available electoral role information.

One other possible line of enquiry is via telephone directory entries. The online BT Directory (Google to get the link) tells us that there is nobody of that name listed in Birmingham or adjoining counties. That means EITHER that there is no family member living in the area OR that there is someone there but they prefer to be ex-directory.

This name is apparently of Cornish origin and is fairly unusual. It would therefore be worth searching West Country locations. There are certainly three people listed in Plymouth, for example.

Chris
hi.i am a cornish baragwnath. mygrandfather dropped an a from the spelling.

Back