• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jamaica Row

Hi there Geoffrey, yes that was the one. I will ask him if he remembers you when I see him. He was lucky, when W Daniel & Son went bump he had built up enough of a rapport with the suppliers he was able to start up for himself and thankfully he is still in business today.
jimbo

A great photo from the Shoothill site of Jamaica Row. Interesting business called The Woodman Luncheon Stores at number 28. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 86
My brother started work at W Daniel and Son as a "Booking Clerk" in 1965 andI remember going down on Saturdays to help him bring home his swag, all the fruit and veg "Sambo" his gaffer had "swopped" for poultry and game with the other Traders. When he was old enough to partake of the Amber Nectar we would accompany Sambo and a few others in the Brook Vaults. I wonder if the Political Correct Gang would allow Sambo to be called Sambo even though Sambo was as white as the driven snow and a Brummie born and bred.  My brother is still working in the market, still in the Poultry and Game and I am trying to jog his memory for some stories.
jimbo
Sambo..... Was that Stanley

Re: jamacia row

They would have been Brooks Vaults & the Smithfield Tavern. Two very well used market houses that in fact used to open on special licence early in the mornings for market workers.

Phil
Phil's post was a reply to posts 2 and 3. What is not mentioned is that the sign over the doorway shows it to be an Atkinsons house.
Incidentally the thread title still is not corrected. ;)

Sambo..... Was that Stanley
Toni62, I am not sure what "Sambos" real name was, as with many Market people they had names that were nothing like their real ones, Hoggis, the Lemon etc, and my brothers own nick name "sleepy".
I will ask him when I see him. He has now moved to the new site down Aston.

Toni62, I am not sure what "Sambos" real name was, as with many Market people they had names that were nothing like their real ones, Hoggis, the Lemon etc, and my brothers own nick name "sleepy".
I will ask him when I see him. He has now moved to the new site down Aston.
Ok. Thank you. Stanley Moseley is the man in on about.

Re: jamacia row

I am fairly sure that the lady in white is Iris Moseley, the daughter of the well known Bull Ring 'character' Percy Moseley.

There is a another picture of her with her brother 'Sammy' working on a barrow in the Bull Ring outside Woolworth's in the 1950's taken by Phylis Nicklin, a copy was on this site before it was hacked, but can still be seen on the Pbase site.

Smiler
I'm Percy grandaughter. Hello.

Stitcher only just noticed your post about Oswald Bailey , I got my first pair of Levi's from there £4.19.11 . Then I bought a succession of jodhpur boots first pair was £14.19.11 then went up and up and up.

My brother started work at W Daniel and Son as a "Booking Clerk" in 1965 and I remember going down on Saturdays to help him bring home his swag, all the fruit and veg "Sambo" his gaffer had "swopped" for poultry and game with the other Traders. When he was old enough to partake of the Amber Nectar we would accompany Sambo and a few others in the Brook Vaults. I wonder if the Political Correct Gang would allow Sambo to be called Sambo even though Sambo was as white as the driven snow and a Brummie born and bred. My brother is still working in the market, still in the Poultry and Game and I am trying to jog his memory for some stories.
jimbo

“I wonder if the Political Correct Gang would allow Sambo to be called Sambo even though Sambo was as white as the driven snow and a Brummie born and bred.”

If you read the Thread “Recollections of Old Birmingham” from 1866...The remarkable lady informs us that some time before 1866 Jamaica Row was known as Black Boy Yard, and the Public House now called Wool Pack (in 1866) was then the Black Boy.

There is a road in north London, not too far from where I live, called Black Boy Lane where there was also a pub of the same name.
I understand that the name actually related to King Charles 2nd - it was a nickname he was given on account of having very dark hair

There is a road in north London, not too far from where I live, called Black Boy Lane where there was also a pub of the same name.
I understand that the name actually related to King Charles 2nd - it was a nickname he was given on account of having very dark hair
Blackboy Road exists in Exeter. Apparently named after a pub of that name. It was there at the time of the civil war.

A great photo from the Shoothill site of Jamaica Row. Interesting business called The Woodman Luncheon Stores at number 28. Viv.
This beer house was in Jamaica Row at a later date. The large numbers 28 refer to Balsall Street as the section of Jamaica Row between Bromsgrove Street/Moat Row and Cheapside/Sherlock Street was formerly Balsall Street. The Woodman was later at No.70 Jamaica Row.

I have improved the plan I had for Jamaica Row between Bromsgrove Street and Sherlock Street ...

View attachment 143769

The beer house and dining rooms close to the Woodman Inn does not seem to have a signboard - or I haven't found it. A number of such houses went without a sign, even up until WW2.

Early trade directories for Balsall Street seems to suggest that the listing continued around the corner into what we know as Sherlock Street so the exact location for the String of Horses is unclear at present.

There was redevelopment after this plan - the Red Cow and other properties were lost when Sherlock Road East was driven through that narrow thoroughfare.

Hope this is helpful to anybody delving into this part of Brum.

does anyone know where the name came from?
Hi It's been 7 years since your comment on this thread I hope you're still on this site. William Daniel snr was my Gt-Gt grandfather.
William and his wife Margaret Kernick and their family came up to Birmingham from St Ives Cornwall soon after the railway came to St Ives in the early 1870s, with Margaret's brother William Kernick and his family. Both Williams sold produce together until the mid 1880s when they separated and William Kernick went into Insurance. William Daniel snr ran the business with his son William.
They lived in Braithwaite road, Sparkbrook until about 1900 when William snr retired with his wife to St Ives. Most of his adult children left Birmingham, some headed up north and some headed back to Cornwall. One of William Snr's daughters Margaret married in Birmingham and moved to Sutton Coldfield, and she was buried in Witton cemetery in 1947.
William jnr ran the business in his Father's absence, but after William snr's wife died he came back up to Birmingham. William Daniel snr died in 1906, and his body was taken back down to St ives and he was buried with his wife. William Jnr ran the business until his death in 1928, and he cremated at Perry Barr crematorium. William had only one daughter, and she died a spinster.
One of William Daniel snr's other sons Frank who was by Great-Grandfather went back down to St Ives in the late 1890's, and his family remained there until my Father met my Mum in St Ives who was a tourist from Birmingham. My Father William moved up to to Birmingham in 1959, and I was later born a brummy

Back