• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jam factories

It would appear that Birmingham/Erdington had no Jam Factories or Preservative factories at this time any more clues as I cannot find any unless they were know as somethink else?

They must have be known as somethink else I cannot believe that in the whole of brum at this time there were no jam makers ?

HI Horsecart
Thats very true we had no jam factories in brum in that period we only had buiscuit factorys and bread and chocolate factories
we had patterson and hughes biscuit factory on adderly rd facing holdens paints and the morris commercial by them many years ago
Next to addely park rail way station; we had green lane bakery ; and on mosely rd ; one in west bromwich oppersite the albion foot ball club
and other small bakeryies but i cannot recall any jam makers apart from the womens jail in london [ holloway womens prison ]
which was nick named the jam factory because they supplied all prisons with jam it was probaly made in london or scotland by pattersons
which produced alot of foods stuff ; and they are still trading today by the copany name for bisciuts
by the way this his not the same patterson and hughes biscuits company as it was in brum ;
but i am sure our experts will come up with some think for you ; have a good day best wishes Astonian;

Thank you horsencart and Astonian for your replies.

I am even more curious now as I have mid-1920s records for a one time resident of Chester Road, Pipe Hays, then in the care of the Meriden Union, whose stated occupations are "Jam Packer" and "Factory Hand". Do you know what sort of work was going on in Birmingham region workhouses at that time?

My own view is that "Jam Packer" would mean someone who jams stuff into boxes rather than someone working in a Jam Factory, I may be wrong of course

Thank you horsencart and Astonian for your replies.

I am even more curious now as I have mid-1920s records for a one time resident of Chester Road, Pipe Hays, then in the care of the Meriden Union, whose stated occupations are "Jam Packer" and "Factory Hand". Do you know what sort of work was going on in Birmingham region workhouses at that time?

I have no specific details of the Jam Factory, but my father who came from Aston used to tell me when coming from Aston to watch the aeroplanes at Castle Bromwich Airfield, there used to be a Jam Factory and a Soap Works facing the Tyburn House on the corner where the Snooker Club is (the Castle Vale corner), this would fit in with the Pype Hayes connection.

hi horsecart
partly answer to your question that a factory hnd whom is employed in those days are meaning
a factory hand is some one whom will do the labouring around he factory and do some various jobs like operating some kind of any machines
nothink likebig techicale machine ; [ some thoink a as a little light machine like an ld capstone or the simple lathe machines that in them days was rum on belts nothink like todays high powered and digital and highly skilled jobs
i would think the jam packer would be a loader of some kind of materials for the operater of such any machine for what ever they are producing
and there would be a person operating he machine the company is manufacturing at that time so you would keep the machine operator in none stop production ;
It was like Radex electrical in Edwards rd ladywood many years ago ; one part of the work shop would have rows of automatic machines
whom would run a series of twelve machines in a long row ; the main operator would keep an eye on them by walking up and down and useing a micro
to test the precision of the mini screws that he was producing for the electric componets whilst his labourer would go and get the truck fom the stores with a loand of brass rods ; long a twelve feet long and the factory hand would be loading the brass rods at the end of the row of all these machines
and if the operator wanted to go to the toilet he would take over and stroll up and down these isles to see if they are still pumping out the materiald of brass screws unil he ame back and he would do be running back and fore ;if he was not needed he would operate a little capston machine
or a small lathe machine or he may have done labouring for about a hour or two in fact he would if you like called a dogs hands even sweping up
thats what you call a jammer and its definately a factory hand multi tasked operator ;if some one checked references for factoried on that rd for that period
youwould definately know what they are producing and what excatly there job was involved best wishes Astonian;;

(1945) The Soap factory was Toro Soap Ltd and next door at 1213 Chester Road was (big fanfare hear)(or not)
Greenwood Leonard E Greenwood Paige & Co Ltd Jam Mfrs

I have no specific details of the Jam Factory, but my father who came from Aston used to tell me when coming from Aston to watch the aeroplanes at Castle Bromwich Airfield, there used to be a Jam Factory and a Soap Works facing the Tyburn House on the corner where the Snooker Club is (the Castle Vale corner), this would fit in with the Pype Hayes connection.

Hi valeboy, This link sounds as though it's what I have been looking for and I will do a little more research. Thankyou

The matter is slightly more complicated. Below is a map c 1937 showing the jam factory ,marked near the Tyburn house roundabout. Looking at google I would estimate it was where now is the curve where Yatesbury avenue turns at the roundabout. The 1932 Kellys lists Greenwood Richard J & Greenwood Paige & Co, jam manufacturers.
There looks like the same building on the 1920/21 map, but it is not named. The 1921 Kellys does not list the company on Chester road and seems to imply that those numbers are outside the Birmingham area. However they do list Greenwood, Paige & Co. Ltd. jam manufacturers, 22 Grocery exchange, Newhall street AND also Richard Greenwood, fruit preserver , 13 Hunton hill Erdington.
So it is possible that he worked at Hunton hill, though if you look at google the address seems to be a private house (https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Hunton+Hill,+Birmingham&hl=en&ll=52.51545,-1.851454&spn=0.008305,0.0265&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=8.446367,27.13623&t=h&hnear=Hunton+Hill,+Birmingham,+United+Kingdom&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.515616,-1.85171&panoid=LhxYfDut8CfLh2pJEI8Qyw&cbp=12,53.77,,0,1.56 .) No 13 is the house with the sale sign in the garden . there is an extension to the back, which could house a small business, but possibly, even though the address lists his occupation, which normally means that his firm is there also, in this case it is really just a home address.

no_13_hunton_Hill.jpg

map_c_1937_showing_Greenwood_Jam_factory_chester_road.jpg

HI CARTHORSE
I Can only ever seeing the manufact ; name in small print of being a scotish factory whom would have sold jamms in the shops
as i recall being an inquisseive kid ; i recall saying to myself i wonder where they make the jam
and i remember quite well it said scotland whom must have been th main supplyer in brum
so i reckon it was only a smal time self inemployed maker for locals
best wishes astonian;;

A bit late coming to this, but for the record my Grandad used to live in a house overlooking this factory. He told me that for every lorry of fruit he saw heading into the factory he saw about 6 loads of turnips! Which in his opinion made for pretty poor quality jam. He said that the factory was owned by Scottish people, which I took to mean Robertson's (?) (EDIT: Spoke to my Mom and she said it was Greenwood's Jam factory. Also it was swedes that were trucked into the factory not turnips.)

Last edited:
I was reading some posts about Jam factories. There was a jam factory called Greenwood’s opposite the Tyburn house. I used to collect jam jars and Greenwood’s would buy them. I cannot remember what was paid for them but it is something I remember clearly. I would have liked to post this on the appropriate page but didn’t know how since I have only just discovered this link.

Welcome Dawn. Hope you made good money on those jars ! Not heard of Greenwood’s before, was that also the name of the jam ? Viv.

This would have been Greenwood, Paige & Co. I have moved the last two posts to the Jam factories thread, which mentions this factory

This would have been Greenwood, Paige & Co. I have moved the last two posts to the Jam factories thread, which mentions this factory
My Mom worked at Greenwood's Jam factory when she lived in Pype Hayes way back in the 40s. She said if you looked in the vats before cooking you could see the contents moving due to the amount of insects that were also in there! Didn't stop her eating jam all her life though. She also worked at a Biscuit factory when I was a child. It was called Fachinos I think and she also used to buy broken Biscuits to bring home. Happy days.

Back