• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

jako the monkey

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
hi.all.as any one still got a jako the monkey,the one you can hang on a line.a childhood toy.i still have one sitting on top of my cabinet.any more out there still.?

Jean - my sister had a Jako but my elder brother and I used to hang it from the washing line and shoot stones from our catapults at it..........

He was a brave little monkey, his poor little rubbery fingers kept grasp of the washing line while the rest of his fluffy little torso was pelted with missiles. I don't think he would be worth much money now????? Mabz

Here is a pic of my little nodding dog that is older than my kids. I would say he is at least 45 or thereabouts.

Phil

Attachments

• Benji .jpg
    Benji .jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
Just like brothers would do only in my case it was myself who would torment my brother like sitting in the middle of his train lines, he would hit me I'd scream and he'd get the clout. Pete remembers having one of these monkeys. Like a lot of things you just get rid. Alf I had forgot about these until Pete [not mine the saint] reminded us. Jean.

pmc1947 im sure your little dog was called bingo years ago it just came into my head on seeing him anyone agree. ps i have three jacko monkeys and you could buy them from woolworths in the fifties harley .

hi.all glad there are still some around.my grand kids tried to get mine but no he stays here.

Pete & Harley,

I have always called him Benji, since he first sat in the back window of my Ford Cortina.

Phil

phil,i once had one of them wobly dogs but it went thread bare.and his head kept coming off.did try to get one of them churchhill ones once but no luck.

I didn't have a monkey but here's my tiger he has lost an eye but is over 50 years old now! I treasure him as my Dad bought him back from one of his trips to Germany in the 50's

This is myself with my teddy Johny which belonged to my brother before me. He still has him on the shelf in his cottage. Must be 70 year old. I did have one of those tin wind up monkeys that clapped his hands. Jean.

I've got my Jacko in my wardrobe upstairs. He's very well loved, a bit thread bare and losing his stuffing but I wouldn't part with him. My aunt bought my 2 cousins & me one each for Christmas from Woollies when we were about 3.

Since Pete started this thread some time ago I put an old photo into the computer and when I enlarged it guess what was in the back ground. See if anyone else can make out what it is. I think it is a Jacko?. My mom is holding my brother on the bench under the lilac tree at the bottom of their garden. Jean.

Alf what a lot of Jacko's to choose from. I think my brothers must have been one of the originals?. That photo must date back to 1938 ish. Jean'

well done lloyd, i wasnt far off, only a mile ha ha ,what great drawings of the cartoon , i loved that cartoon , brings back memorys i nearly forgatten about .thanks for that lloyd.

I had to save that picture of Jako! I wouldn't be parted from mine! He got left behind once - in a pub garden, away from home, I think? I wouldn't sleep, so the story goes and I don't know who did what but, I got my Jako back (or was it a sneaky new purchase?)
So glad they are fondly remembered!
Jan

Hi G G Jean! We bought our son a Jako monkey from Woolworths circa 1960. He was hung up all over the house and accompanied us on many bus journeys -much to passengers amusement. A much loved toy. Surprised that the toy died out. Regards. willey

I'm envious. I always wanted one. Used to admire them hanging up in Woolworths but sadly Santa never delivered! Sob, sob .... Viv.

Hi Wiley I put a photo on with my mom brother and Jacko but it disappeared when the forum was hacked. Vivienne it didn't survive and I guess was hugged to death by my brother. His teddy did survive though and he still has it.

jean;
we still have our jacko tucked up in the loft ;we bought our daughter one when she was a baby ; we fished him out about two years ago and it gave us alot of conversation; but my grand mother bertha hinton [ jelf ] kept a live big jacko monkey in a portable cage ; alon with a cage she kept in the lounge
of the house in new cannal street digbeth my grand mother was connected to the thearters a stage dancer and every where she went
jacko would be along side her he caused quite an attraction ; every where they went and when we visited her at home in new cannal street
we all the grand kids used to play with him and feed him;
new cannal street was a huge transport bed and breakast for the drivers coming to market or ant of the places around digbeth in those years ;
and the drivers whom stayed overnight used to be surprized and liked him very much ;
best wishes astonian;; alan;;

Back