• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jaguar cars

mike jenks

master brummie
Hi
Yep the mail article (see below) rings true. As a senior staff rep we covered the debacle. I wrote a short book on it.
Jaguar was in a mess run by Robinson he tried to run it on a democratic style. Proved a disaster.
I first met John Egan he was head of Sales and Service at Cowley. He gave us their new organisations etc.
The Jaguar organisation was in collapse rumours of Jaguars moving to Solihull Yep castle from go close which it did.
Robinson was sacked with a few more. John Egan came in saved the plants a hero.
Strangely some Jags are built at Solihull and some Land Rovers are built at Jaguar Hailwood.
Small world

Mike Jenks

Link to Birmingham Mail article: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/nostalgia/sir-john-egan-put-jaguar-9660001

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame that the Browns Lane plant closed, the company is doing quite well with its new range of models, and they are looking to build a new plant in Poland.

Thanks, Mike, link added in original post.

It's useful to be reminded what an awful period that was, industrially. Just reading the diaries of the British Ambassador to France in the 70s where he struggles to present a good face to the French who are convinced, as he almost is himself, that our decline is terminal - and who don't hesitate to show their disdainful sadness about it all.

Chris

Last edited:
Back