• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

JAFFRAY Hospital ???

Tried to find some information on Skinner & Co., I assume they are now Bentley & Skinner, Bond Street, London.
https://www.bentley-skinner.co.uk/history/

It shows Skinner & Co. was established in 1880, and supplied jewellery to Queen Victoria, but there's no mention of Birmingham in their history, can anyone find any details in Kelly's
Another search for Skinner & Co shows them as jewellers to the RAF, Bentley & Skinner also list themselves as such today.

Colin

Cheers for the illustrated News info.

I had also been wondering the same after googling Skinner & Co
Whether there is a link to Bentley & Skinner I am not sure ?

Looking in the directories (exact description varies with and within each directory (ie depending on whether its name or street number you look at):
There seem to be two jewellers John Skinner at 4 Northampton St and Vittoria St. The Vittoria St one is the one we are looking for, but don’t know if they are related. The Northampton St one is extant throughout the period below:
1873 Only Northampton St jeweller

1876-1880 Skinner John, goldsmith & jeweller, 20 Vittoria street

1883 Skinner John, goldsmith & jeweller, 53 Vittoria street

Between 1883 and 1884 numbering seems to have changed from consecutive to odd one side, even the other. I think 53 in 1883 is same as 66 in 1884
1884-1900Skinner , John goldsmith & jeweller 66 Vittoria St

1903-1908 Skinner , John. Ltd, goldsmith & jewellers. 66 Vittoria St

1912 66 & 68 Vittoria St is Wright & Perry , diamond mounters. Skinners
Have disappeared.
Looking at Google, the other John Skinner (Northampton St) turns up a couple of times , as does a jeweller and watchmaker in Exeter in 18th century.
Can't find a John Skinner in High St in 1884 despite address in cutting
Mike

hi all
never heard of the Jaffray hosp all the years I lived in brum was Mr jaffray of eastern extraction as the name sounds Indian not British??
regards
paul

Thank you for posting that history of the Skinner Jewellers - It does seem most likley to be John Skinner of 53 Vittoria Street.

Its interesting that High street is mentioned. I was talking to a jeweller friend earlier this evening who is based in hockley and he has no recollection of a high street ever being there - he has worked in the jewellery quarter 40 years - so that reference is strange.

Yes the Jaffray Family were a pretty prominant family back in victorian / Edwardian times. Here is some info about John Jaffray.

John Jaffray was born in Stirling, came to Birmingham in 1844 to take up a post with the Birmingham Journal. He was taken into partnership with John Feeney the proprietor in 1852 and together the two men founded the Birmingham Daily Post in 1857. John Jaffray spent his life involved with literary, educational and charitable and public events. He was created a Baronet in 1892.

I must admit that when it said "high St" I had assumed it meant the High Street in the city Centre. There were, of course another six in birmingham, though none in the jewellery quarter, but i think any of these would have been prefaced by the area. all i can think of is that the firm had an agency in High St, city centre . No 29 was william Pearsel, gold & silversmith and 21 was Thomas & Francis Jephcott, jewellers.
mike

My mom was in jaffray hospital after major heart surgery in 1965,she went there to convalesce,

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the Jaffray always called that, or were there different names? I am interested in Erdington House, later called Highcroft Hospital.

Back