• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jack Simpson Boxer

Gwynfor

knowlegable brummie
Does anyone know anything about a boxer called Jack Simpson who came from Kingstanding Birmingham in 1940s, he was my uncle and i would like to know a bit more about him, Thanks

Does anyone know anything about a boxer called Jack Simpson who came from Kingstanding Birmingham in 1940s, he was my uncle and i would like to know a bit more about him, Thanks
Hello
Jack Simpson was my Great Uncle and his wife was Alice, his brother Alfred was my Grandad and he moved to Winchester, not sure when but married my nan who was from there. We are trying to find out more about my mother's side of the family in particular on my grandad's side and my great uncle did visit us and although I was too young to remember him and sadly my grandad died when I was 3. So if you read this would be good to hear from you of any further family history and vice versa if you would like to know more. Hope to hear from you Angie

There are a number of mentions of his fights for Lucas in the years just before and after the war in the newspaper archives, but they do not seem to give much more than the result

Thank you, I'm now scrolling through Birmingham Mail to find any newspaper ads! Is Lucas someone Jack Simpson fought? Appreciate your response.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but he fought for the Lucas A.B.C. Lucas were a large conglomerate in Birmingham. All hits in Birmingham are in period up to 1949. Below are the first relevant hits on the first page. There are four pages.

Birm Gazette 2.12.1946.jpgBirm Gazette 5.2.1938.jpgBirm Gazette. 6.12.1935.jpgBirm Gazette. 22.2.1940.jpgBirm.Gazette. 14.4.1947.jpg

Hi, thank you for the explanation and for the copies of newspaper cuttings any little bit of information is useful in trying to track down our ancesters and current family members. Thank you, much appreciated.

Funny about that name, I belonged to the Midland C&AC and my mentor in the lJack Simpson 001.jpgate 1940s 1950s was a cyclist of some repute his name JACK SIMPSON as I am sure John Bishop may also know not the same chap I am sure.

Hello,

Yes, that is interesting and the cyclist Jack Simpson comes up a lot when I'm trying to find out information about my great uncle the boxer Jack Simpson, but unfortunately I don't think it is the same person, obviously a very popular name back then! I live in hopes someone will come back to me who is a relative or knew of him - now wish I asked my dear old mum more questions about him.

I found this article on line, thought you may be interested...

Jack Simpson (Birmingham) was a professional boxer who was active between 1942 and 1948

He boxed at welterweight and took part in 4 professional contests

I can provide about ten pages of information on his ring career

including his full and detailed fight record; fight reports and a photograph.

If you would like me to provide a quote for this then please

email : [email protected]

or phone 07872 578596.

Thank you for that I have already made contact with that person, they have some information on his boxing career, but I'm trying to find family members from Birmingham. Much appreciated though.

Back