• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

J. W. Evans Silver Factory

Went on Heritage Open Day last year and the grandson showed us around. I think I posted some pictures on here.....well worth a visit anyway.
Ah...found a couple of the photos.

Nice pic of the stamp battery there Charlie. Yes everybody do try and get a visit in this year.

Graham

we will be trying to get there too.

Would'nt it be great if there was such a thing as staff information too.
Sure I am not the only one who had a relative as a silversmith.

Derek

Definitely - it would mean very little without the people involved. I know that the complete archive (including Payroll etc) is being cared for by either the museum service or the university. In time, they ought to be accessible in some form.

Graham

Graham it's so good to know not only the building and contents are being saved but also documents like the payroll. I hope many visit and the project becomes a big success.

Looking good!

I've been watching this one for a couple of years. I'm so glad that it's been left as it was when the last guys there downed tools. I much prefer to see places as they were worked, than all tarted up.
Thanks for the link Wendy!

Neil

nice pic here of j w evans in its earlier days...dated 1895...i would presume that mr evans the grandson would have this pic..:)

thanks wend..i have posted this one before under the jewellery quarte picsr thread i started but thought it would be nice on here too...it could be that the grand looking man and women on the steps are ancestors of mr evans the grandson...:)

lyn

Last edited:
hi all...although the front has changed a bit i stood looking at j w evans building today and imagined all those workers standing outside in 1895...:)

Isn't that fantastic to see those 2 photos side by side? It's good to see the company was so successful they expanded into #54 too. I shall be adding this to my list of 'must see places'. Viv.

viv i shall be going when they open up to the public...cant wait for this time warp...:)

Does anyone know if they have opened yet, I can't seem to find any up-dates on line.

Colin

Back