• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

J Read & Sons Royal Sutton Stone Ginger Beer

O

ornette

A stone bottle with the above name (plus an emblem and the motto 'nulli secundus') was found recently under the floorboards of a house in Tudor Road, Sutton Coldfield. See photo. The house would have been built in 1899. Any information gratefully received.

I haven't come across this company before but if there is a mark in impessed into the side this will be the makers mark. There is often a two diget number and this will tell you the date of manufacture. 04= 1904, 20= 1920 and so on.

On looking up "nulli secundus" it is Latin for "Second to None". Bet it was good Ginger Beer.:):)

Thanks for the additional info. I'm going to visit Sutton Reference Library to research the company.

Read's - more information

The firm is listed in Sutton Coldfield directories from 1880 - 1926/7, as mineral water manufacturers. Unfortunately the library does not hold directories for every year.

They seemed to have started in Duke Street around 1880 and then moved round the corner to Lower Queen Street/Holland Street around 1901. The OS map of that date shows a mineral water manufactory at that location which is them.

Sometime later they moved to Upper Holland Street where they are shown in the 1916 directory. It seems that around 1926 another firm, Goffe and Sons opened in their old factory. Goffe were an established Birmingham firm which made mineral water and glassware. They are shown in White's directory of 1856 as manufacturers of lemonade and ginger beer at 23 Weaman Street, Birmingham.

In 1928 Goffe are also shown in Upper Holland Road - perhaps they bought out Read? In any event neither feature in the 1930 directory leaving Sutton without a mineral water factory.

This is my first time on this site
My mom is related to Goffe & sons but we know very little about the family or factory,l would love to hear from anyone who can help me look into it,we did manage to get a Goffe and sons bottle for her 80th birthday just to prove there was a factory in Duke Street Sutton Coldfield

Hello and welcome Goffe. There is quite a bit of information on this thread but I am sure there is more to be found. Good luck with your research and best wishes to your Mom. I grew up in Sutton Coldfield it was a magical place to grow up in.

Goffe
Wasn't sure which thread to put this on, but the Duke St that Goffes were in was Duke St in Aston, though the family, or some of them, seem to have lived in Erdington.
M ike

Ive got a couple of old bottles made by Goffe & sons, and a few made by Read. These were all found in sutton park, a couple of miles at most from where these companies were based. a couple of pics for anyone interested:

old bottle 1.jpgold bottle 2.jpgold bottle top.jpg

Read's - more information

In 1928 Goffe are also shown in Upper Holland Road - perhaps they bought out Read? In any event neither feature in the 1930 directory leaving Sutton without a mineral water factory.
I've found an advert for Goffes in the British Newspaper Archive, Birmingham Gazette 13 April 1938, which still lists Upper Holland Road as the address for the company. I'm trying to find out when the building was converted to the bus depot (which has a very 1930s look to it)

The Warwickshire Kellys for 1940, which would refer to 1939, also lists Goffe's at Upper Holland Road

Back