• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

J. R. Gaunt & Son Ltd., Warstone Works

Have you previously heard of J R Gaunt & Son?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Warstone

I am researching the firm of J. R. Gaunt & Son Ltd., of Warstone Parade Works, Warstone Parade East, B18 6NU, who at their peak were the largest manufacturers of Military Accoutrements in the British Empire. The works filled the top end of Warstone Parade East, extending back to Pemberton (formally Alfred) Street, off Warstone Lane, beside the cemetery in the Jewellery Quarter.

Warstone Works.jpg

Does anyone have any images of Warstone Works, especially photographs, internal or external? Built in 1913, the building was unfortunately demolished in 1982.

I am also interested in advertising literature of any type or era that the company produced or any other records to do with them and tracing anyone who may have worked there before the company moved to the Icknield Street site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember Gaunts well, as I lived just off Warstone Lane. A relative of mine worked there for years.

I have a stack of Gaunts in my research - in Birmingham, London and Worcester. I also have an inherited parchment tree that was professionally compiled in the early 1900s. I haven't done any work on this branch for a while, but I'll have a look at my research at some point to see if any of it dovetails with this.

I have a stack of Gaunts in my research - in Birmingham, London and Worcester. I also have an inherited parchment tree that was professionally compiled in the early 1900s. I haven't done any work on this branch for a while, but I'll have a look at my research at some point to see if any of it dovetails with this.

Thank you, that would be really helpful.

The main Gaunts involved with the Company were:

[Richard Gaunt of Rowley Regis]
Gaunt, James Richard (J R Gaunt)
Gaunt, Charles Frederick (the Son)
Gaunt, Walter Frances (brother to C.F.)
Gaunt, John Richard (last Chairman)

If any of the first 4 establish a connection to the family tree you mention I'd be most interested in hearing more

My father, Eric Watts, was appointed Managing Director of Gaunts at the time of their takeover by the Birmingham Mint in the early 1970's. He had worked there over 25 years, having previously been Sales Manager, General Manager and Director. Sadly, he passed away in 1973. I've attached a photograph of him here with a colleague, standing in front of a JR Gaunt's van. Dad is on the left. I think I have some advertising literature from that time tucked away somewhere.GAUNTS 1.jpg

lovely pic of your dad badger..would love to see some old advertising literature..

lyn

That was taken outside the loading bay entrance to the basement in Pemberton (Alfred) Street. Roughly where the India Visa office is now. Great picture and I've heard Eric Watts was a 'vigorous' Brummie. Apparently he didn't appreciate the 'J R Gaunt London' marks on a lot of the badges and quietly changed the dies when they wore out to read 'J R Gaunt Birmingham'.

Do you have any other photographs of the works, employees and I'd like to hear more about the advertising literature when you have time to find it.

Well, how amazing! Thanks for your comments Lyn and Warstone, both. I never quite knew what my Dad got up to at work, and forty odd years have passed since then, so words rather fail me at the moment. I love the idea of Dad changing the dies - brilliant, thank you for that. I will try to unearth the few bits and pieces of Gaunt's stuff that I have left - there's not very much I'm afraid, but I'll see what there is and take some photos of it.

Hope your research is going well, Warstone.

Steve

This is what I've found. It relates, I think, to the factory at Broseley. As I recall, this was of some concern to Dad - maybe in relation to the takeover by the Birmingham Mint?

GAUNTS 2.jpgGAUNTS 3.jpg

Steve

Hi Colin, don`t know what your interest in J.R.Gaunts is,I served my time in the toolroom there,and my wife worked in the office,perhaps we knew each other??

Hi Colin, don`t know what your interest in J.R.Gaunts is,I served my time in the toolroom there,and my wife worked in the office,perhaps we knew each other??

Hello,

What were the years your wife & yourself worked there? Do you happen to have any photographs of the original works at all or contact with any other former employees of the company who worked there pre-1982?

Hi Colin,Val and I worked at Gaunts from approx. 1950/1957,and we have memories of so many people,many of which can be termed as "characters",unfortunately we have lost touch with them all,many would have passed on by this time. there was Geoffrey Hughes who also served his time in the toolroom,along with Harry Jorden ,John Chance from the button shop,so many others.I could go on for hours, the girls in the press shop,the enamellers,it was a different world.If I can help , just ask.Bernie D.

Russell
I think part of your request did not appear. Would you care to complete it

Some information about the Gaunt company you may find of interest.

Russell
I think part of your request did not appear. Would you care to complete it
Sorry about that. The completion should be I think the history of Merial Gaunt born 1916 died 1942 might be of interest to her family member’s

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there is some information on ancestory.co.uk about a Merial Phoebe Gaunt born 1916, died 1942
but I cannot access further - perhaps other members could help?
ancestory.JPG

Hi all, I am a former Royal Marine, and I was given a RM pin by a eldery former Marine and I have been trying to find information about it and wondered if any of you fine people could help me in my quest, I have only seen six in existence, I have 3, two of my RM brothers each have 1 and I missed out on one on EBay.

thanks in advance.
Daz.414083F1-A7A2-4EA7-97CE-127F21A6E667.jpeg

My father, Eric Watts, was appointed Managing Director of Gaunts at the time of their takeover by the Birmingham Mint in the early 1970's. He had worked there over 25 years, having previously been Sales Manager, General Manager and Director. Sadly, he passed away in 1973. I've attached a photograph of him here with a colleague, standing in front of a JR Gaunt's van. Dad is on the left. I think I have some advertising literature from that time tucked away somewhere.View attachment 89531
My mother Margaret Ashford worked at Gaunt's for over 30 years up until 1980, regret she passed in January 1981 she used to solder the fasteners to the back of badges.

Back