• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

J Green - mobile darkroom 1875

mbenne

master brummie
I just came across this picture on the Our Warwickshire site and cant help thinking how entrepreneurial it was for the time. It prompted me to delve a bit further and it seems the idea was not unique? I wonder if the effort paid dividends?

1576257949501.png

I suspect it for the wet plate or collodion process. The photographer had to make the glass plate, coat it and use it within about 20 minutes. So, it needed a mobile dark room.

It was quite short lived (around 1850) as it was quite a pain to set up. The daguerreotype superseded it, a process using mercury

A wonderful snippet of history. Imagine the excitement of them arriving in a village - so seemingly modern for its time. Viv.

Whilst researching some Victorian photographs I came across 2 gentleman who had a portable studio on wheels, it was taller on one end (so they could stand up in it?). They may have done instant developing. They used to start on the outskirts of Birmingham and walk every day into the City Centre, where they possibly had a business. I would have liked to have brought this to your attention, but I can't find it again. Anyone help me find it again please?

This link, while going in the opposite direction, is similar

Back