• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

J F K Mosaic

M

maxwell bullivant

I have just received this email, and i thought it may be of interest to forum members. Max

John F Kennedy Mosaic
Community consultation 22nd July 2010 6.30pm – 8.30pm
Venue: Irish Centre, Deritend, Birmingham

The Birmingham Irish Community Forum would like to welcome everyone on the 22nd July at the Irish Centre, Deritend
to give us your feedback on potential sites for the JFK Mosaic to be ‘re-housed’ within the Irish Quarter.
The JFK Mosaic was commissioned and paid for by the Birmingham Irish community in the 1960’s. It is a significant
part of the Irish community’s heritage, and with the support of Birmingham City Council the mosaic will imminently
be reinstated within the Irish Quarter.
BICF have been working with a local artist Harry Blackett and the original artist’s son Oliver Budd to investigate
appropriate sites for the mosaic. We would like your opinions and feedback, please support this project by coming
along to the Irish Centre on the 22nd July 2010.

We will be honoured to welcome Councillor Mullaney to the event who is a prominent advocate for the project and
Patricia Riley, BICF Chair.
Refreshments will be provided along with:
• Visual images of potential sites
• Architectural model of the Irish Quarter
• Film footage and images of the original JFK mosaic
• An opportunity to chat with the artists about the findings
For more information please contact us on 0121 772 9424 or email [email protected]

Jim if i remember right they spent months chipping bits off and saving it although not all was saved. Dek

i thought that jim..i remember passing it many times..just reading the article and it says there will be footage of the original one so maybe a new one has been commissioned..guess we will find out eventually...

lyn

Last night on BBC 1 local news, it showed the son of the original creator who is in the process of restoring the mosaic, it is suggested it be sited in the Irish Quarter in Digbeth as the Irish either paid for the original or raised a lot of money towards it.

Back