• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

J & D Davies Token

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone know what this token may have been used for? Some say its a payment token, but others say it maybe a badge or certificate of their product60176163_10214430347737973_2739468628314292224_n.jpg

Jonah Davis, engineer , is listed as at Church Lane Tipton in the 1851 whites directory
Jonah & George Davies, are listed as at the Albion foundry, Toll end, Tipton in the 1861 Harrison directory
Jonah & George Davies, are listed as at the Albion foundry, Toll end, Tipton in the 1870 Harrods directory
Jonah & George Davies, Albion & Limerick Foundry, engineers, Tipton are listed in the 1868 Post Office directory,
No mention in the 1880 directory
The firm' being a foundry would seem to agree with it being a workers token

Thanks for the replies, they did indeed make large beam engines for waterworks. I did wonder if it was a checking in token, bit like miners used to have.

I would have thought it would have a hole for hanging on a board if it was used as some kind of employee monintor.
Some kind of ID to present in order to get a pay packet ?.

Grace's Guide mentions 1851 for J and G Davies, being at Albion Foundry at Tipton. I can find a reference to a George Davies at Albion as early as 1838. But the Birmingham Daily Post of July 1967 shows the demise of the 3-legged cooking pot after 260 years production. Albion Foundry Co amalgamated with Izons and Co.

349969D4-3133-46EA-9CC1-E19961E85D27.jpeg987AD565-AAE6-4E48-9430-1E48808C75E4.jpeg

Thanks for the replies, they did indeed make large beam engines for waterworks. I did wonder if it was a checking in token, bit like miners used to have.

Some Iromasters also owned their own Collieries, and in 1874 Jonah became a member of Institute of Mining Engineers.

Not sure how this helps (?!) but, although it’s had a few knocks around the edges, its not very worn on the face. So it’s probably not a token that was frequently handled (like for payment). It just doesn’t look to me to be something that regularly passed through hands or carried around in a pocket. Viv.

Back