• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

J Coley Coal Merchant Handsworth in the 1920s

Sory folks It should have read J Coopey Coal Dealer Wood Lane Handsworth. Anyone have info on him?

There’s only one J Coopey in the Handsworth area in the electoral roll:
1920 John, Edith Julia & William John Coopey were at 9 Hill Grove, Wellington Rd
1925 John & Edith Julia Coopey were at 9 Hill Grove, Wellington Rd.
1930 John & Edith Julia Coopey with Bernard Kimberley & Elsie Ivy Nott were at
9 Hill Grove, Wellington Rd
1935 John & Edith Coopey with Elsie Ivy Nott were at 9 Hill Grove, Wellington Rd
1939 John & Edith Julia Coopey were at 9 Hill Grove, Wellington Rd
They don’t seem on the list for 1945 on
mike

Sorry about the delay in replying Mike. Thats the right Coopey . My boss now retired is sure he was a coal merchant in the Handsworth area but I cannot find anything to verify this fact. I think I have checked the Kellys is there anywhere else I could look? She remembers this family when she was very young.

He does seem to appear in the 1900 census , then a soldier, the only one listed in Birmingham at 241 Wellington road, :

John Coopey (38) soldier with Royal Warcks. Born Churcham Gloucest.
Edith J Coopey (29) wife born Kenilworth, Warcks
William J Coopey (5) son born Perry Barr
Arthur G Coopey (6 months) son born Perry Barr
Both he & his wife have ticks in the disability column, but not sure whether these are an artefacts from checking the results (like the lines which sometimes virtually obliterate the information you want ).
It looks like his death was reported the first quarter of 1942, and that he served in the machine gun corps of the Gloucestershire regiment in WW1.
In 1921 there was a coal merchant in Wood lane (Edwin James at no 33) , but it is not listed in 1932. Unfortunately no directories for 1922-1931 are available on CD or online, and this is the period you are really interested in
Mike

Back