• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

J & CH Evans & Co. Ltd. (Maltsters) Aston & Birchfield

nice photo viv and a very large building....trying to find it marked on old maps but no luck as yet

lyn

Not one I’ve heard of Lyn. This is all it gives on the reverse of the pc. Viv.

Attachments

• 1C9F59F3-09FA-439E-A877-648DA8B1C67C.jpeg
    1C9F59F3-09FA-439E-A877-648DA8B1C67C.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 25
Here it is on the c1950 map in red. They seem to have been on this site since 1899, and were there till the early 1950s

map c 1950 avenue rad showing grain warehouse of evans.jpg

Here it is on the c1950 map in red. They seem to have been on this site since 1899, and were there till the early 1950s

View attachment 133504

The fascination, as far as I am concerned, is the sheer amount of industrial premises that can be seen in these older maps. Some substantial, some medium sized and others fairly small. All of which made up the celebrated 1000 trades of the city.

no wonder i could not find it in avenue road mike...because its not....yet according to the postcard the address given is avenue road...guess its close enough and it is the closest road to the factory which needed an address..

Last edited:
This is probably one for Mikejee, unless you know different.

Below is a map showing Bartons Bank and a part of Victoria Road - all buildings now demolished. My grandmother's house is shown in red, and behind that with an apparent entrance in Victoria Road is what is shown on several larger scale maps as a malthouse and is shown in green on the map.

Can Mike or anyone please tell me who owned the malthouse, and/or the approximate number of the entrance in Victoria Road? Many thanks in advance if anyone can shed any light on this.

Maurice :cool:
BB.jpg

The company (in 1950) was J. & C.H. Evans & Co, maltsters, at 51 Whitehead St. you can see from the c1050 map that the entrance was actually in Whitehead St. (The map is one I previously saved for another purpose and therefore shows another building, as oldmaps site seems to be temporarily unavailable to me)
map c 1950 showing 93-97 victoria Road.jpg

In the 60s I lived at 80 Victoria Road which was right opposite the metal shearing works. It was yet to be built in 1950 so doesn't show on Mike's map. This photo shows a delivery truck in the entrance to the Malt works in Whitehead Road..
Whitehead Road.jpg

Newspaper entries for this Company are confined to Situations Vacant advertisements and a Liquidation Notice in 1970, always giving the Avenue Road address as follows.

Maurice :cool:
Evans_BM05Nov1940.jpg
Evans_BM04Dec1940.jpgEvans_BM23Dec1943.jpg
Evans_BM12Jan1944.jpg
Evans_BM07Dec1944.jpg
Evans_BDP29Sep1954.jpg
Evans_LG21Apr1970.jpg

Just one aside, in November 1904 an elderly lady died in an accident in Colmore Row involving a heavy waggon and two
horses owned by Evans Maltsters.

Back