• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

J and R Oldfield Lamp Manufacturers, Warwick Street

Bluenose29

proper brummie kid
I understand that back in the 1920s a company called J and R Oldfield ,Lamp Manufacturers were based in Warwick street ,Birmingham
Can anyone tell me when the company ceased trading and if any records [staff records etc] survived where they might be archived
Thank you

J & R Oldfield are listed in Kellys there till the 1963 edition, inititially as motor lamp manufacturers and sheet metal workers, but later as just sheet metal workers. In the 1964 edition (which probably refers to 1963), they are listed in the companies section as at Tala works, Adam st. In the street section they are next to Taylor Law & Co Ltd, hardware manufacturers, Tala Works, but no mention of Tala Works against their name. This continues till the 1968 edition. In the 1969 edition only Taylor Law & Co Ltd are listed, and they have then changed from hardware manufacturers to kitchenware manufacturers. I assume that Oldfields were taken over by Taylors and production moved to the new site, and the company name was dropped between the 1968 and 1969 editions (probably referring to 1967-68).

Back