• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Maca5k

Brummie babby
Gday, im trying to trace the history of my 1920 Ixion motorcycle. Ixion Motor Manufacturing Company were in Great Tindal Street, Ladywood, Birmingham between 1910 and 1923.
But thats about all i know about the compnay. Does anyone know anything about this marque?IMG_5883.JPGIMG_5884.JPG

Just wondering how many motorcycle manufacturers there were? I know even Vale Onslow made their own bikes once, called the SOS

It certainly appears back in the early 1900s there were many people making bikes of one form or another and the vast majority disappeared. The British motoring industry mustve been cutthroat. But man there were some beauties with class and style all their own

Just wondering how many motorcycle manufacturers there were? I know even Vale Onslow made their own bikes once, called the SOS
There were over seventy motorcycle manufacturers in U.K at one point. Good to see Norton motorcycles who were in Bracebridge st, have returned to the area, an industrial estate off the Stratford road in Shirley. From Bracebridge st they went to Plumstead in London, eventually ending up at Donnington hall before coming back home

There were over seventy motorcycle manufacturers in U.K at one point. Good to see Norton motorcycles who were in Bracebridge st, have returned to the area, an industrial estate off the Stratford road in Shirley. From Bracebridge st they went to Plumstead in London, eventually ending up at Donnington hall before coming back home
Gotta love the Norton. I have a 49 Dominator Model 7. Just love it

Did they recover from this:
British motorbike maker Norton goes into administration after 122 years over tax woes
  • The company has appointed administrators to oversee its struggling finances
  • Move means around 100 jobs at its factory in Leicestershire could now be at risk
  • Norton was founded in Birmingham in 1898 and is one of the last British motorbike brands

Did they recover from this:
British motorbike maker Norton goes into administration after 122 years over tax woes
  • The company has appointed administrators to oversee its struggling finances
  • Move means around 100 jobs at its factory in Leicestershire could now be at risk
  • Norton was founded in Birmingham in 1898 and is one of the last British motorbike brands
Yes.
The owner at the time carried out one or two shady deals (well documented) and lost control of the company. An Indian company, T.V.S bought the company and honoured outstanding debts, kept the original workforce and moved production to Solihull.

After 1923, New Hudson bought the Ixion name, and used it as a '2nd brand' to sell old stock models and engines into Europe. The Swedish Rex used a New Hudson engine with the Ixion badge on it

Attachments

• Ixion_SS1.jpg
    Ixion_SS1.jpg
    908.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Ixion_SS4.jpg
    Ixion_SS4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Back