• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Evans (maiden name) Lizzie mother of Ivy & Elsie c1913 Bordesley

ArtEvans

Brummie babby
I am searching for any information regarding an image of two relatives (see attached) taken in Bordersley about 1913. Ivy and Elsie are pictured, the daughters of the sister of my grandfather Arthur Evan Evans. Their mother was called Lizzie (probably short for Elizabeth) and while she may have had the maiden surname Evans her married surname, and those of Ivy and Elsie, would not be Evans. Lizzie had three brothers, George, James and Arthur, and a sister Rose. They may have had parents named John and Mary. James went to South Africa and was killed in the Boer War. Arthur went to British Columbia, Canada, and had several children, but my grandfather Arthur remains a mystery figure as there are no records of his Evans family in Birmingham on genealogical databases, which I have searched for ten years. There is a possibility, suggested by family aural history, that his mother Mary remarried a man with a Tompkins-like surname.

Attachments

• Hudson photographer Bordersley (1).jpg
    Hudson photographer Bordersley (1).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Ivy and Elsie Evans (1).jpg
    Ivy and Elsie Evans (1).jpg
    929.7 KB · Views: 21
Too many maybes and suggestions. When/where was your grandfather born and do you know Ivy and Elsie's surname?

If you know about James and George are you able to give us any dates (birth or marriage or census) for them to give us a guide? Who was the eldest?

Last edited:
Too many maybes and suggestions. When/where was your grandfather born and do you know Ivy and Elsie's surname?

The Canadian references for Arthur Evan Evans are all on the Evans Tree: https://www.ancestry.ca/family-tree/person/tree/14851561/person/173705365/facts
Born 24 April 1875, either in Wales or Birmingham. As I mentioned, the online records don't help, but a photo I.D. of his nieces would. I am a professional historian, with two major books to my name, so my research has been quite thorough but not 'on the ground' in Birmingham.

If you know about James and George are you able to give us any dates (birth or marriage or census) for them to give us a guide? Who was the eldest?
I have wasted hundred of hours aiming for George and James, whose age I do not know. I suspect George was the eldest, because I know Arthur and James tossed a coin on the docks in Liverpool, before they migrated their separate ways, possibly around 1889, escaping a stepfather they did not like in Birmingham. They also were buskers, with musical and dance talent. I assume their age gap would be 2-3 years, and James the eldest. Military records for South Africa do list a James Evans killed in action.

Back