• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Samuel Heath

heathy72

master brummie
ive been trying to research my family tree..
thing is on my one nans side i have got as far as my gt gt gt grandparents..the prob is my one grandad..
ive spoke to my last remaining aunt..she cant be sure of his year of birth,or any details of my grandads parents,so im stumped..i was gonna try the military records but i dont know how to,and as i dont know his definate date of birth,im up a certain canal without a paddle..id be greatful if anyone cud point me in the right direction..most of my family come from nechells,long acre,ashted row..AHHHHHHHH ITS DOIN MY ED IN..ha ha.x:explode:

my grandad is called samuel heath,the major problem is that i dont have definate dates of either his birth or death,my aunt has sed the year of birth is 1911,but my aunt was 1 year out with my nan's year of birth,so who knows.,i have found out one samuel heath relating to that year,but no other info,at the mo im on find my past site,and altho ive found out a fair bit,as i sed ive hit a brick wall..
the year grandad died cud be anywhere from 1978/1980,soory for being so vague but theres not a lot else i can tell you,he was a sgt major in the army and i know the regiment but with out def dates i fear that wud be useless....
i also believe my grandparents at one point lived on ashted row,poss number 86....also wen he passed away they lived on marsh lane erdington..thanx for any help u can give me.x

Thanks for the info - I'm sure someone will help you out with an Electoral Roll check.

Maurice :cool:

Assuming your Grandfather died in Birmingham, the only likely one between those dates is:-

1st Qtr 1980 Samuel HEATH born 24 Oct 1904 - Birmingham Vol 32 Page 0685

EDIT: The birth would be 4th Qtr 1904 Samuel HEATH Birmingham Vol 6d Page 141

i found that one with the date of 24th oct...my aunt is sure his birthday is in january..im sooooooo confused,as i have no way of confiming which samuel he was....and i suppose there is no other way of finding the right one..
yes he died in birmingham,they lived in marsh lane at the time of death,cos i vaguely remember visiting them there....thanx..x

if he was born january, the most likely death is the one in 1977 birmingham with birth date of 15 jan 1908

if this is he then in 1911 he was living 16 court 5 great francis street, bham

alfred heath 35 driller b. gloucester
louisa heath 37 b. bham
sam heath 3 b.bham

married 9 years and had had 5 children but only 1 still alive

Sounds like Shera has entries which match most of your known facts, Heathy72 :D

alfred and louisa and samuel heath were living heneage st. and in later years samuel heath was at 86 ashted row. i hope its the correct ones for you

thank you shera for your info..
it sounds like uv got the right man ,the address at ashted row ties in with what my aunt sed,cos that is the address my parents moved into when they got married,they moved in with my dads parents...
the year of birth being 1908 must be right,cos his date of birth was 15th jan,from what my aunt told me,my aunt did say he was born 1911,but there agin she was a year out with my nan.
and as for his army number i dont know if it is correct,i was told he rose to be a sgt major,i have his baton with the regiment emblem on it,i know nothing about diffrent ranks in the army,would a L/CPL of had a baron likt a sgt major.??....do you know if theres a way of finding out,the regiment was correct tho,the duke of cornwall light infantry....how wud i go about finding out all this
once again a very big thanx shera for you info and help,ive tried looking on findmypast but got nowhere..x

im not sure about the army stuff, you could start another thread asking questions about army matters and some of our other members may be able to advise you. all i know is that the samuel heath that was a lance corporal was living same address as alfred and louisa heath in the early years, then later there was a samuel heath living 86 ashted row with a kate matilda heath, and a harry and kate hipkiss. if the army details are correct you will know for definite that samuels parents were alfred and louisa heath, and you have the details of them (date and place of birth etc) from the 1911 census i gave you. all the best, shera

looks like there the ones..
my nan was kate matilda heath an her parents were kate and harry hipkiss...i will av a look on findmypast site with these facts and see what else i can find..
maybe at that time he was a lance corporal,im sure my aunt sed my grandad lied about his age to get into the army.
i did get quite far with kate heaths family,as far back as my great great great grandparents but id hit a wall with samuel's family..thanx again.x

can anyone help me AGAIN.!!!..ha ha.
i go on the site findmypast..and im trying to find louisa heath...well,to find out more about her,
im pretty certain her maiden name was ball.
im also sure she married alfred heath in 1902 and she was born 1874,,but thats it..cant seem to get any further back than that.
maybe its me,not looking in the right place,
cud anyone try looking her up,or even perhaps pointing me in the right direction..
ive noticed that i go along fine for a while,then once i hit a brick wall,it louses things up,ha ha.
thanx for anyones help.x

Do you know about the FreeBMD site?

In the March Quarter 1902 it records the following two people in the marriage index:

Ball Louisa Aston 6d 429
Heath Alfred Aston 6d 429

Using this information you can purchase the marriage certificate from the GRO.

The certificate will give you the names and occupations of the fathers of each party. You really need to confirm that information to progress further back.

FREEBMD records the births of 7 people with the name of Louisa Ball in 1874. Of these, 4 have a second name which may eliminate them. The remaining three are born in Leicester, Chipping S and (possibly the most promising) Wolverhampton.

If you get the marriage certificate having the name of the father may well assist you in finding her in the census records.

Doug

Do you know about the FreeBMD site?

In the March Quarter 1902 it records the following two people in the marriage index:

Ball Louisa Aston 6d 429
Heath Alfred Aston 6d 429

Using this information you can purchase the marriage certificate from the GRO.

It's quicker to send to Birmingham Register Office, they do a quick turnaround. There is a form to print off from the Register Office web site, and then send it with a stamped addressed envelope.

Shortie

thanx i will give it a go...
i find it difficult trying to find out if it is the person ur looking for.
i started goin down one route on findmypast and ended up with a louisa ball coming from ireland..then realised it wasnt the person i was looking for...
altho it is very interesting and fascinating it's bloody hard work ha ha..x

ive carried on looking and got a bit further..
thing is how wud i research sumone who's place of birth cums up as unknown on a census record..xx

Well, Heathy72, I think slowly is the answer! I have been researching off and on, for more than eleven years. Initially I was in a hurry, but then I found out that if you take it slowly, and don't try to miss a step (especially in the early days), you get a better and more correct result. I have come across people who are just copying trees from any person theyfind is related, without checking if the tree is correct. That's a big mistake. Patience is a virtue in this game. It took me about five years to find my gt grandfather. His name was Alfred, or so the census said. Long story, but his name was actually Theophilus. Slowly is the only way, and don't believe all you are told by family members. Keep it all in the back of your mind, but don't take it as gospel, the Victorians were good at hyperbole. One of my forebears, we were told, hailed from Ireland. Actually Ireland turned out to be Cheltenham!

Happy slow hunting!

Shortie

ive carried on looking and got a bit further..
thing is how wud i research sumone who's place of birth cums up as unknown on a census record..xx

Have you tried finding them on another census? Hopefully another census would contain more information - especially one close to when they were born.

Back