• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Its good to know some old buildings are being used and not destroyed

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The old Municipal bank building in Broad St, now being used by the university

The first free event there is on 13th October

Unfortunately I shall be away in Leeds, so cannot attend

I had not picked this thread up and was about to post a report I had from a friend who has just looked in. Apparently they have things of interest to children this week of half term.

This is an item of interest that my friend has told me about

In the basement (former strong-room) they've currently got an exhibition
about air-quality, including some displays about the use of hydrogen as a
fuel to reduce local emissions. There is a large item about the "Flex" train
(former Thameslink class 319) that has been converted to run from a hydrogen
fuel-cell, including a 00 gauge model of it running round an oval of track.
Although most of the safe-deposit boxes have been removed, they've left a
few against the wall.

I did manage to get access to the old Municipal Bank HO with a couple of friends back in 2006 and this is one of the photos that I took. I took the photos in black and white as they were illustrations for a magazine article I was writing.
IMG00028.JPG
We did not manage to find anything of value left in the safe deposit boxes.

Hey folks. Some great threads on this forum. I remember walking past in 2004/5 with my son. It was open to the public so we decided to venture forth. It was like walking into a Tardis. Very big on the inside. Lovely old stone architecture with a touch of Deco. We descended the stairs, probably 3 stories of an average size house, and entered the vaults.

I'd never seen a place like this before and was amazed at the size of it all. There's literally thousands of safelty deposit boxes of all shapes and sizes and different rooms with glass windows for walls. I was impressed. Unfortunately I didn't have anything with me to take a few snaps.

Well worth the look for anyone interested in mooching around old buildings.

Who knew there was so much wealth in Birmingham back in the day.

Best wishes and a Merry Christmas to you all.

The former Birmingham Municipal Bank Head Office in Broad Street is now owned by University of Birmingham and is open to the public. There is also a cafe in the former banking hall and I can recommend it for a quick meal or just a hot drink. In the Vaults they have removed some of the old private deposit boxes and use them for decoration in other rooms in the building.

I've just tried to find opening times for the Bank. Can't seem to see anything.

I'd like to go and have a look, if anyone can send me a link to the opening times etc I'd be grateful.

Thanks for info and pics, very interesting.

Oh goodness. How lovely. I look forward to going on a visit to the Exchange. I just thought that it was a plain concrete building inside.
hi kat it is also on my list for this year as its not to much walking for me due to the old dodgy knees :D also not a big walk from there to the prince of wales pub in cambridge st so may visit both at the same time

lyn

Yes, it must be good to find things that are within your limitations. I'm just fascinated to be going into a bank behind the scenes. Very interesting.

Ooh, thank you. It’s too late for me today, but the first of July has been added to my hectic* social calendar.

* not very

Last edited:
Back