• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Christmas of the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four glass baubles from about 1950. Currently awaiting a decision to be sent to the charity shop. An annual dilemma which is ritually postponed to next year because they hold too many memories of Christmas at Grange Road, Small Heath.

Attachments

• IMG_2166.JPG
    IMG_2166.JPG
    554.9 KB · Views: 7
We have a few of those bubble lights mentioned in the above link. They are fragile and bubble with the warmth of your hand if you hold them at the base. They are safe at the back of a drawer! We also have some of the brass candleholders called "Clipiton" still in a box.
rosie.

We used to make our trimmings with crepe paper. Sometimes we would cut a fringed edge or alternatively an edge done something like the edge of a pastry tart.
and we did and dont forget the paper chains we made and the sugar mice for the tree...you can still get the mice and the strips of paper with glue at each end to make the paper chains..oh and the victorian lanterns are still available and not expensive

In an attempt to try and recapture the magic of Christmas’s past, I tried to find those glass baubles online. In fact they are still made in Poland, but are very expensive.
Some rime ago on Quest, on the How is it made, I think that is the title, they did a programme about the factory in Poland that makes the glass baubles.
Bob

Last edited:
dangerous dont try this at home.

The early electric iron, 1930s and 40s

images
478px-Woman_using_electric_iron_plugged_into_light_socket_LCCN2006686991.jpg
View attachment 162509View attachment 162509
My mother decided to buy a sewing machine (not sure why) and wanted to work on the dining room table and plugged it into the light nearby. Every time the machine started the fuse would blow. My father fixed that by putting a thicker wire in the fuse block. He did that twice and poof there was smoke everywhere. Fortunately the fire station was close by. About an hour after the firemen-and MEB left my uncle Johnny (MI6) stopped by. Never heard anymore!

ot i know but it was done by people.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Radio together with the electric iron were the first electric items to enter the home and all were plugged into the light via a switched 'double adaptor.' The flex was usually strung from the lampholder to a screw hook on the picture rail. It then trailed down to the radio in the corner of the room.
Many television receivers were powered this way, sometimes a little neater with a 5 amp 2 pin plug and socket. You still had to turn the light on to power the radio as some one has done with her bathroom heater. I condemned her actions years ago but she insists it's safe. She insists her brother has tested it. She is 99 so who am I to argue?
xmas-lights-scan_pic0016-copy.jpg

WE had bakelite tree light holders like that, before that coloured ceramic ones. I hope that square lamp shade isn't just being held up by the lamp. (Reminds me off those compact fluorecent lamps that wouldn't fit into shrouded sockets if a lamp shade was being held up by the shroud.
and they smelt like kippers if they got too hot:worried:...i saw may of roses pulled out the ceiling by weight and yanking

Been low on a budget this season so simply learnt some DIYs online and clubbed it with some scented candles from clintons on the side to make the whole look complete. Bought an old Christmas tree from a previous owner and attached a natural smelling tree scent on its needles. It is a genius way to save money yet have that same-looking Christmas tree!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you put up Chritmas decorations yet? i see some have.:grinning:

traditionally, your Christmas decorations should be put up on the fourth Sunday before Christmas. This means the 28th November this year.

I think I have said it before - Christmas Eve.
I think it started in our family as my Mom wanted our real Christmas tree in for the least possible time so it's needles might not drop.

Last edited:
Agree - my decorations come down on Jan 6th.
Crib at church stays a bit longer otherwise the statues of the wise men don't really put in an appearance.

traditionally, your Christmas decorations should be put up on the fourth Sunday before Christmas. This means the 28th November this year.
Never heard that one. Ours are up a week before Xmas and down 1st Jan

Never heard that one. Ours are up a week before Xmas and down 1st Jan
Advent begins on the fourth Sunday before Christmas, known as Advent Sunday, and always ends on Christmas Eve (24 December).
This means that this year, Advent falls on Sunday 28 November.
So, if you are keen to get your festive decorations up early, this is the earliest date that tradition dictates you should be putting your tree up.

Having spent 17 Christmases other parts of the world since 2001, Christmas decorations have been amazing over the top and unbelievable, Iceland 13 father Christmases and illuminated gravestones, Dubai, giant glitter balls and I mean giant, Kuala Lumpura Chinese choir singing carols and Christmas songs around a huge Christmas tree, real!, Mauritius, Maldives,Seychelles, more Christmasy than the UK. Singapore, an orderly, neat, understated Christmas outside, but inside OTT. My favourite though was San Francisco, on 24th Macy's was so Ott with decorations it was unbelievable. On the 26th not a garland or bauble in sight, a member of staff said they had been in since 3.00am clearing away.

Bob

Good luck with that Pete! Traditionally in the US it was after Thanksgiving which is usually the last Thursday in November. It seems that it gets earlier and earlier. Last weekend we were out and many place had Christmas out, some had it out before Halloween which I have never seen!

I agree, Christmas Eve is the time, after all Christmas doesn't start till then. Any other time is that dictated by commerce.
Christmas finishes on 12th. night., but commercial interests usually say 27th. December - the start of sales.
As much as I love the sentiment of Christmas, I agree with Alan it starts on Christmas Eve!

This is true. I saw a chrismas tree in Spar one year in october with halloween decorations on it, i said whats with the tree? she said it makes a change. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back