• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Christmas of the past

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Administrator
Staff member
so I've added a snowy theme, any complaints send to: -

Care of Santa
North pole
No presents for you
PO BOX
Lump of Coal

love it all warren...nice touch with the sprig of holly top left of all members avatars...:)

lyn

hi suze....i reckon warren would fit in quite nicely with slade:D

lyn

Last edited:
I remember when Dave Hill lived by Malvern Park Solihull, proved such a distraction to the girls at the nearby Malvern Hall School!?

The snowy theme is nice, but the snow keeps collecting at the bottom of my monitor screen. I'll have to put the heating on, I suppose (expense, expense, expense...).

jim must admit i had to smile at the roundabout spotters and the escalator travellers:D but as i have always said...each to his/her own and what harm are they doing...taking pics of letter boxes is dull ?? i have done that lol...loved the brick and milk bottle collection and you would be surprised at the old bits of social history relics in my back garden..my kids just smile when find something new to addo_O...so if that makes me dull then so be it ha ha:D

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks for the dull men club video devonjim, I enjoyed that. I collect beer glasses but I've had to stop, I've run out of places to keep them:(

Rulers and condiment spoons are my weakness. And I have an especially soft spot for foot measuring rulers. As Lyn says, each to their own! Viv.

Love the BHF snow effect, really nice, but can we keep it on the screen, and not for real.
When I was a kid, I loved snow, but not these days.

We rarely get a heavy snow fall in Norfolk. Where we live, last year was an overnight dusting, and that was it.

Nobody likes a walk in the brisk winter air more than me, but snow???? Heating turned up, doors and windows shut tight.

Roll on Spring, warmer weather, and lighter evenings.

Eddie

I'm pleased to be able to report that for one day only we had a coating of snow on the top of our Cretan mountains a couple of days ago followed by the first real rain we've had for months, just as the olive picking season was starting - typical! It's supposed to rain again tomorrow, but I'll believe it when I see it. The stuff I really hate are the cold winds coming down from the Balkans - then it really is time to stay indoors. This last three years it really has become difficult to forecast anything accurately though - anywhere.

Maurice

hi maurice...i like the snow in small doses these days...ideally i would like it to snow on christmas eve..christmas day and boxing day then it can all go away:D

Lyn,

We're about 800 feet a.s.l. so rarely get snow on the ground in this latitude and certainly not in December. The same mountains quite often have small patches of ice up to June, but by then it is more like clear sago. I drove up there one year to take some pictures for the grandchildren and it was really hail I suppose. In the UK it was the slushy stuff I couldn't stand.

I had my first Greek Christmas card today (it's taken a long time to catch on here!) and it actually shows Christmas trees, baubles and snowflakes, but the card merely says "Printed in the EU".

Maurice

Maurice
did not realise they had any snow in Crete. Worked with a girl from Crete some years ago and understood she had never seen snow before. Perhaps she meant never seen snow more than 0.5 cm deep

Mike,

We had about 3 or 4 inches in Aghios Nikolas at sea level four years ago, though it didn't last long. There were 80 year old guys up in our villages that had never seen it down there before. Up on the Katharo & Lasithi Plateaux it can get two feet deep for several weeks, but it is over 3,000 feet a.s.l. up there and they are used to it.

We rarely, if ever, get frost on our cars in Limnes where we live. 150 feet higher in Fourni & Kastelli where we have friends it is a regular occurrence to scrape frost off your windscreen in the winter mornings. A few feet make a helluva difference. Here's a pic of the snow on the main highway January 2015 - about 800 feet a.s.l. and 7 minutes drive down the road from our house.

Maurice

Attachments

• Turning_to_Neapoli_06012015.jpg
    Turning_to_Neapoli_06012015.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 20
And just to prove how changeable it can be, this was taken 51 weeks earlier on 13 January 2014 just 300 yards from the previous picture. Jan & I are far right. People in short sleeves, etc.

Maurice

Attachments

• Sunday Walk 26 B.jpg
    Sunday Walk 26 B.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back