• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oisin

gone but not forgotten
... no spitting signs and match strikers on the backs of bus seats, ash trays near the windows in railway carriages,

When I was back in Brum in the late 50's a friend of mine at the top of Kingstanding had a tramcar body in his back garden as a greenhouse, it was quite funny to be amongst his tomatoes with all those signs you mention 'No smoking in the lower saloon' 'Do not alight while the tram is moving' 'No spitting' etc. E.

Halt signs at Crossroads, Picture House Posters outside shops
8)

And the Print your own labels machines on New Street Station and probably at other places. When I first had a penny to spare in the early 1950s I could emboss a thin strip of zinc with no less than 22 letters, rather like the plastic DYMO machines later, except that the ends of your strip were punched and shaped for fixing. By the time I left Brum, in 1959. I think you could only get 15 letters for your penny.
Peter

It had to be removed because it only spoke English and it has to be multi-lingual ;)

the man that sold hot potatoes at the top of stephenson place, lovely when you came out of the pub on a cold saturday night!

Lynn I mentioned about the potatoe cart outside the Midland Hotel was that Stephensons Place? ???It was near the New St Station
IT WAS

What ever happened to the unexploded German bomb that stood on show in the old Market Hall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back