• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judy, I had forgotten about the brushes used for cleaning our manual typewriters. Mine were in a pouch in my desk. I still have a round orange coloured typewriter rubber from days of yore.....and accuracy was most important working with several carbon papers between the sheets of paper - didn't want to waste time rubbing out errors, or risk tearing the paper.
My mum had a portable Olympia, it had a grey narrow brush and a rubber which was white thin and flat, it might have been round once a bit smaller than a scone in cirumferance with a metal piece in the middle the size of a penny. She had a rubber which was ruff on one half and soft oin the other, the rough I think was for carbon. Mum used pink correction fluid and nail varnish if she ran out. I remember her blowing it. I remember the music on the radio with a typewriter in it and the ping! She used to talk about dictaphones too.

]Bovril is still widely available and I had some only yesterday. I always had Oxo after a swim and not the silly new stuff in a tube, the good old cube variety that had to be crumbled into the hot water. I too have never sampled White Horse whisky and haven't seen Dimple Whisky for years but a google check shows it's still around.
Dimple.jpg
I can remember the empty bottles being made into table lamps.

Another memory revived Oisin, the bulb holder for the bottle used to have some sort of plastic flaps that had to bend sideways as the holder was pushed into the neck of the bottle. These plastic flaps were rather rigid and it took a bit of effort to get the bulb holder into the neck properly, or am I thinking of a more modern way of doing it? I do remember the bottle lamps because dad made a couple of them.

I remember some people made these bottle lamps and covered the bottle with seashells! Also remember using nicely shaped bottles (such as Mateus Rose) as candle holders for the thin tapered candles. Viv.

er.jpeg
I don't know if the Weekly Post is still available today but if it is it will be more expensive than 3d

Wow! I remember Halls Tonic Wine Stitcher. I remember seeing some in the house when I was probably about 13, and helping myself to a couple of glasses. Felt a bit tipsy after that!!

I remember drinking Sanatogen tonic wine, I wonder if that's still around too? I believe Halls and Sanatogen were to increase the intake of iron.

Yes Judy, they did have quite a high alcohol content in them. Even as an adult I remember feeling a bit whoozy too.

Trevor speaking of making bottle lamps, do any of you remember those great big bottles that possible were used to take acid to factories? They had a name but I can't remember what it was. Anyway, we all seemed to have one at some time, either turned into a lamp or a bottle garden. Mine was a bottle garden, that just wouldn't thrive no matter how I tried.

Trevor speaking of making bottle lamps, do any of you remember those great big bottles that possible were used to take acid to factories? They had a name but I can't remember what it was. Anyway, we all seemed to have one at some time, either turned into a lamp or a bottle garden. Mine was a bottle garden, that just wouldn't thrive no matter how I tried.
Hi Maggs, I think they were called "Carboys" . We had them filled with battery acid when i worked in a radio shop, used to refill wireless accumulators batteries.

I agree roverman they were called carboys, I think they were often transported in some sort of outer protection filled with straw.

Talking of chemical containers, class bottles that carried about 2.25 litres of acid usually concentrated and other substances for that matter like strong alakines, were called "winchesters" I have no idea why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bill, Yes, I remember them being in a sort of cage with straw around them. To extract the acid to put it in manageable containers a big stopper like plug was put in the neck of the carboy with a tube that went down into the acid then there was a large rubber ball with another tube coming out, the ball was squeezed several times to siphon the acid out. it didn't half make a mess of your overall if any acid splashed onto you. No goggles,no rubber gloves. (Health and Safety ? !! )
Regards Reg

Bill
Regarding Winchesters. No-one seems certain as to the derivation, but the most common explanation is that the name comes from Winchester Measures. In Anglo Saxon times
the Saxon King Edgar the Peaceful (AD 959 to AD 975), tried to standardize measurements and it was decided that all measures must agree with a set of standards kept in Winchester and in London . The peck, bushel and gallon were called Winchester measures, and the "Winchester quart" (2,273litres) was half a gallon. It is supposed that 2.5litres is an approximation to this. However, from this one would assume that the size of the Winchester bottle changed around the time of decimalization, and I do not have any record of this and cannot remember it chamging while I was in laboratories

Hello Mike, well that certainly explains where the term "Winchester" came from, I had been associated with laboratories for over 40years and I cannot remember if they were officially still called Winchester when I first started in the business in 1968, it might be that some of the staff just called them that by habit.
I quoted 2.25 litre but I suspect I made an error and so 2.50 litres it is. I dont think any suppliers refer to them now as Winchesters they just simply quote capacity and like most things these days they are now made from plastic, no doubt somewhat safer than glass.

Loved the smell of Armani setting lotion. Reminds me of my mum. Think it came as either pink or blue lotion. Viv.

Interesting Stitcher. It says the beans are in a pork and tomato sauce. And it says that they're oven baked. Think they must have later dropped the 'pork' and 'oven' references. Viv.

Can anyone remember the names of the different toothpaste's that we used to buy as a solid block in a round tin about 2½" diameter. We used to wet the tooth brush and rub it round and round on the block to make a lather and then clean our teeth. I think one of them was Gibbs

Viv
As I understand pre war Heinz baked beans did have a pork flavour as they were based on an old american recipe containing pork, but due to rationing restrictions in the war, this was dropped then and not changed back aferwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back