• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
There used to be a place on Cape Hill Nan called the corset shop (mid 1950's) I think it was called Mayer's. The corsets were all heavily laced and had hooks and eyes too, with huge suspenders and done in a very strange salmon-pink. She caled her bra a bust-bodice, (and wore a vest underneath.) There were loads of hooks and eyes on that too.

Up until recently you could still get large green bars of fairy washing soap, two bars to a pack we would take this in our campervan for hand washing of clothes. This product now longer available and so we now have to buy a FRENCH soap ! I say no more !.

I can't remember Carolina, I seem to think they didn't have them because I remember garters being worn. The corsets were a fleshy pink colour as rosie says, and come to think of it the vest was worn underneath the corset. Roll ons always had the attached suspenders didn't they?

My mother wore a corset which was pink and had whalebone sections incorporated into the corset. Suspenders completed the garment. Mom bought her corsets probably from a shop on the Flat and after retirements used to get her corsets from a little 'drapers' in Harborne.

Anthea

The suspender buttons that you hooked over were like rubber and yes the vest was worn underneath the stays.

Arround 1960 I remember my mother used to wear a Playtex girdle, it was made of rubber and had suspenders. The trouble was that after some wear she be putting it on one morning and the rubber would split.

Shirley

Okay one for the men now. Do you remember the whelk and cockle man that used to come into the pub selling them along with shrimps etc from his basket.

In my youth it was a woman who sold the shellfish and was accompanied by lady member of the Salvation Army selling the Watchtower. Probably thought there was safety in numbers.

I think you will find that it is The War Cry that the Salvation Army sells in streets and pubs. :friendly_wink:

Okay one for the men now. Do you remember the whelk and cockle man that used to come into the pub selling them along with shrimps etc from his basket.

I certainly remember them selling seafoods from a basket, from memory in the Bear Hotel, Bearwood. This would be in the early 70s.

Yes, I remember the cockle man as we used to call him!
There was a guy who used to come into the Railway in Curzon Street early evenings selling shellfish in little bags, ready to eat.
That would have been mid/late 70's

My two grandmothers died in 1974 and 1975 respectively - they both wore corsets up to their last days. How on earth did they manage with them during the summer? It beats me completely.. I don't think I remember rubber roll-ons (gosh they must have been cold in the winter mornings), but I do remember the Silhouette 'Little X'.

I do think there was a pink rubber one with holes in (tiny ones of course), but that was in the 1930's. I seem to remember seeing adverts for them, Little X was elastic. What an odd discussion this is, shall we now start on men's undies? LOL

While we're on the subject of womens underwear - who remembers disposable paper knickers from the early 70s. Sort of Jcloth material I think.

On the subject of corsets my grandma would say these elastic ones are no good you need boned ones to do the job. I was horrified only being 15 at the time. My mother wore corsets untill her death in 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back