• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaker was a bit tame Jean, but Diamond White.....that was brain damage stuff 7.5% if I remember correctly and cider too,but I prefer the real cider from Zummerzet or Devon which is where I will be this time tomorrow will report back on the local tipples upon my return;););)

I think back in 1972 or73 5% would have been considered strong in the UK. There were not so many lagers around back then. Most people either drank Mild or Bitter.

On to fashion, My older sisters having their Can Can underskirts .
They used to hang them on the back of the Bedroom door,I think sometimes
they would try to stiffen them with sugar water? Perish the thought.

Oh yes. I had some beautiful underskirts. I remember going to work on the bus and lots of us nearly taking up two seats because of the huge underskirts - I think it may have been an ongoing competition to see who's dress stuck out the most.

Coats I remember having in the 60's were a LLama coat, which were always cream and very warm, and my favourite was a light weight reversible coat check one side and plain the other, it was pale blue with turned back cuffs.

I had a reversable coat, off white on one side and blue hounds tooth on the other with turn back cuffs.

I think back in 1972 or73 5% would have been considered strong in the UK. There were not so many lagers around back then. Most people either drank Mild or Bitter.

Just looked at a colt 45 can. it says 8%. now that WOULD have been strong if you consider most milds or bitters were probably less than 3 or 4%

I dont think alcholol by volume was generally printed on the can in the 70s. maybe the specific gravity was - I have slept since then, as my mother used to say.

nd not described as a beer. Maybe , if it wasn't thought of as a beer, it had to have the alcohol content listed

I dont know much about it, rarely drink myself these days. But I think alchohol content on cans came in during the 80s. I do remember Whisky bottles being marked 70 proof rather than the percentage of alchohol.

Colt45 was described as Beer, and Breaker as Strong Lager, both American I think.

No I havent hoarded the cans all this time , Pics are from Google images. lol

8% alcohol or not, I wouldn't have washed the dog in Colt 45.

Strange that a poster described barley wine as obnoxious - I rather liked it, and I believe you can still get it. Prior to being labelled 'barley wine', I think it was known as 'old ale', and was a favourite Christmas tipple when I was a nipper. My mother used to use it in Christmas puds.

Big Gee

8% alcohol or not, I wouldn't have washed the dog in Colt 45.

Strange that a poster described barley wine as obnoxious - I rather liked it, and I believe you can still get it. Prior to being labelled 'barley wine', I think it was known as 'old ale', and was a favourite Christmas tipple when I was a nipper. My mother used to use it in Christmas puds.

Big Gee

whatever it was called, it still tasted like the dregs from a flat Guiness to me.

I dont know much about it, rarely drink myself these days. But I think alchohol content on cans came in during the 80s. I do remember Whisky bottles being marked 70 proof rather than the percentage of alchohol.

Colt45 was described as Beer, and Breaker as Strong Lager, both American I think.

No I havent hoarded the cans all this time , Pics are from Google images. lol
I used to drink Breakers,during that long hot summer of 1976,at the Earl Grey at the bottom of Balsall Heath Road,they used come out of a chiller of some sort,the can's covered in ice,they were strong,but that cold lovely all the same.

I used to drink Breakers,during that long hot summer of 1976,at the Earl Grey at the bottom of Balsall Heath Road,they used come out of a chiller of some sort,the can's covered in ice,they were strong,but that cold lovely all the same.

Breakers was a wonderful drink, I got bladdered on it a few times. It's like knat's p--- now

Woolworths. What was the name of their own brand record label that used to cover all the latests hits using unknown singers and groups? It was in the days of the "78" and the records were about half the price of the originals.

Did Woolworths sell K-tel records as well?

They were selling the same stuff as any other record shops by the mid 70s, Plus budget stuff like Pickwick and K-Tel. The Embassy label had stopped by then.
These labels must have had some impact on the charts, cos by about 1974 the Melody Maker charts only listed full price albums.

I knew a bloke who played with the session-bands on those cheap-o cover records, and he reckoned he made a decent living while it lasted. Maybe that was also the start of all the tribute bands we have these days.

Big Gee

i remember that froth.....not so much a product but does anyone recall shops selling pop by the glass...usually tizer for me....

lyn

Can anyone remember Zebo it was used to polish the old triplex grate which had an oven for keeping food warmalso you opened the door above the fire to sweep the chimney Cleaning the grate was my chore every sunday while Mom polished the red hall tiles and scrubbed the front step then started the dinner Mom used to send Dad to the Pickle club in Roberts Road (its still there ) I still live in the Avenue Acocks Green

oh yes the corner shop opposite St Augustine's church in Handsworth, for the life of me I can't think of the roadname

Sketchleys dry cleaners were taken over by Mr Minit the shoe repairers, they became minor outlets within shoe repairing units and then they disappeared. No idea bout Harris, but perhaps Johnson's took over - I think they operate from the same premises - or did. I might be way out of date.

Hi Paul

I remember Zebo, but where from I don't know. My gran used to have a Triplex grate, but it was replaced with a 'modern' tiled fireplace by the Council in about 1953. She lived in Arlington Road, Warstock, which is where I was born. Funny that I should read this and then find out we are related - fact is certainly stranger than fiction.

Shortie

.OOOUUUUUCCHHH..!!!!

I bet as many footballers ended up punch drunk as did boxers.

I miss the old MacFisheries. Small fish counters in supermarkets are not the same and any independant fresh fish shop soon closes.

Yes Paul, it is funny, especially as I remember Zebo, but never used it! I was born in a house similar to the one you live in, only mine was in Warstock it was my gran's house. We had a Triplex grate but it was changed when I was about 5ish, I think it was before the Coronation, so how do I know about Zebo? I suspect I saw adverts still on the outside walls of shops. Does not matter now, I have done my good deed for the week, and I know without a doubt that Tina would be pleased!!!

Best wishes

Shortie

Re Corona pop I think the Jingle went like this "Corona with the big big C Corona just for you & me it's got a sparkle in the middle and a tickle at the top"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back