• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh er. What ever happened to shops that sell just wool and ribbon ? The coconut stringy stuff covered in cocoa in red paper ? Old ladies who had sweet shops ? While im here, what happened to the old  woman who sat outside public bogs and gave you a clean towel and a dirty look if you asked where the soap was ?. Anyone remember the old dear who used to sit on the steps at the side of the Midland hotel and had loads of bags with her opposite the taxi rank ?
Does anyone remember the shopping arcade by Woolworths on New St ? :idiot2:

:-[
PUBLIC PARKS BAND STAND WEEKEND RECITALS.
PERAMABULATORS.
COBBLE STONES TORN UP FROM THE BULL RING.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS FROM THE TWO ALTARPIECES OF VICTORIANA; VIZ.:
- PUBLIC HOUSES
- RAILWAY STATIONS.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS INCLUDING TIMBER FROM DEMOLISHED SHOPS.
SLATES FROM ROOFS OF RESIDENTIAL, COMMERICIAL, INDUSTRIAL PROPERTY DEMOLISHED.
POLICE CADETS DOING SCHOOL CROSSING DUTY.
CONSTABLES POUNDING THE BEAT ON FOOT.
STREET GAS LIGHTING FIXTURES.
:-\

???
ps
GOOD GRACIOUS! I BELIEVE I DO REMEMBER THAT OLD WOMAN.
I SUSPECT I ALSO REMEMBER THE ARCADE.

WHAT A VERY TERRIBLE THING TO HAVE DESTROYED AN ARCADE.

Not only Policemen pounding the beat but wear ing capes in the Winter.My Dads weighed a ton.

hmld said:
???
ps
GOOD GRACIOUS! I BELIEVE I DO REMEMBER THAT OLD WOMAN.
I SUSPECT I ALSO REMEMBER THE ARCADE.

WHAT A VERY TERRIBLE THING TO HAVE DESTROYED AN ARCADE.
So it doesn't matter about the old woman, eh? :coolsmiley:

I heard that she died.The social services offered her help but she wanted to stay where she was with her beloved pidgions, bless her

Yep the Burlington Arccade is still there.

As to the bricks, we've got a few in the garden. We rescued them from a pile in Aston Lane when they were tearing down Victorian houses. :)

Regarding old bricks, when they were demolishing the wall at the side of the Aston Hippodrome, where we used to queue
for the gods, my partner Ray bought them for £100 and used them to rebuild the garden wall round his mother's cottage - which he now owns - also he bought some old oak timber from Aston Villa's training ground for various building work.

Lynn I mentioned about the potatoe cart outside the Midland Hotel was that Stephensons Place? ???It was near the New St Station
IT WAS

Hi Alf
No this one was at the bottom of corporation street, Im sure there were more but thats the one i used, it was handy for when you came out
of the gilded cage the parisian or the tavern
Lynn

Whatever happened to

Fleur De Lys Pies from the mobile cafe outside Snow Hill Station.
Nothing tasted as wonderful on a cold winter's night after you'd come from the pub/club/piccies.

Good News folkes Michael was working late in Brum last night and the burger van in Colmore Row is back!

No Fleur De Lys Pies now though I s'pose? I can see and taste them as I write....dribble..dribble.

Whatever Happened to KING CONG the big Gorrilla placed in centre of brum in the 70s and then I think I last saw him bottom end of Ladypool rd ?? I dont know
Jean

Hi Jean:

He's on this very forum with many posts and where he ended up.
Just type King Kong in our forum search and you will find the thread
if you scroll down a bit.

I don't know when they disappeared, but I miss the trifles we used to buy from the Wimbush or Harding bakery. They were in a rectangular tray/carton with a scalloped edge, synthetic cream on the top and a cherry, of course, with a most delicious gooey sort of sponge on the bottom.

Ann

Jimmy Young.
"What's the recipe today Jim?"
"Well, Raymondo,its a quick chille using baked beans sent in by Mrs So and So and this is what you do..."
"So this is JY saying BFN - bye for now"

They don't do it like that anymore, and he sang "Unchained Melody" as well at one time, is he still alive?

Reckon he will be 85 next month then. Bet if I had waited, Alf would have drawn our attention to some birthday greetings for him. How about it Alf - perhaps on the Wireless Thread?
Mike

buses having to clock in at those great big cast iron clocks,i think it was at each terminus

Bundy clocks? Consigned to the scrapyard after someone was injured when they drove their car into one, I'm afraid. They're not required now, modern ticket machines can do the same time / place recording and with global positioning satellites (the technology is used for those bus shelters with a display to tell you when the next bus will arrive) were as redundant as the Conductor.
A few survive and are in museums or private collections like this one at Kidderminster Severn Valley Railway station https://www.kfriends.org.uk/projects/bundy.htm
See also this page from our member bammot's photograph site:
https://my.bus.photos.fotopic.net/c1187683.html

The Bundy brothers in America invented a recording clock as the workers in their factory were coming in late and going early. It was so successful they were asked to make more for other factory owners, and their firm eventually became the 'National Time Recorder Company'. You know it as IBM now.

That si so interesting Lloyd about the Bundy Clocks. I used to check my watch every day by the one at the terminus on Oxhill Road by the Uplands Pub. So that I didn't miss my bus in the morning.
Glad the buses didn't have doors in those days, for the number of times I had to run and jump on as it was leaving. Couldn't do it now. LOL Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back