• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had it has a laxative I would eye it Nan's top cupboard out of my reach, not that I would have touched it. We had a Timothy Whitse too I had forgotten that name. Nan also had arrow root, she called it Arry Root, in her cupboard and vanilla pods and senna pods. Sweets were rationed when I was born but I was not aware that they were. I have rotten teeth what are left now.
She also had a tiny eye bath a finger stall and an antique feeding cup which looked more like a chinese tea pot without a lid. I wish I had kept it.

Anyone remember the chuddy (chewing gum) machine on the wall outside some shops? You put a penny in, turned the knob & got a packet of gum. Every 4th penny & you got 2 packets. There were some naughty boys who used to shove paper up where the gum came out, & if you weren`t streetwise they would walk away thinking the machine was broke. only those naughty boys would pull the paper out & the gum would fall down. I must confess, i was one of those naughty boys :-}

AND Jenson Violet...... Horrible purple stuff for impetigo, ugh awful stuff. Does anyone remember OMO washing powder, someone told me, if it was in the window of a women's house, it meant Old Man's Out !

shame on you smudger...Brenda

I wouldn`t call it shame. All kids did some sort of naughty stuff, & if they say they didn`t, they`re either saints or telling porkies. We lived on our wits back then. I would shovel horse muck & sell it. Chop firewood & sell it. I`d cut peoples hedges or mow lawns & recycle lead from the GEC waste ground ( why they would throw lead away i don`t know ). Kids today have lots more than we had & are they more happy? I don`t know, but they`re definitely more violent. We did have a little bit of chivalry, never kick anyone that`s down on the ground. These days they`ll stamp on your head & laugh doing it.

Gentian violet is still used a lot, but generally, with humans, in covered by clothing places these days.

https://www.gentianviolet.co.uk/index.html

Regarding the OMO soap powered comments I am reminded of an aunt, of fond memory, who lived in the Shirley district of Solihull. The time I mention is when washing powder manufacturers, or their publicity people, called to households and asked them which washing powder they were currently using. Adopting a belt and braces attitude she kept packets of all the brands that were canvassed so that if they called she could claim whatever prize was on offer. I do not her ever winning a prize but she may have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Double Diamond, Nut brown ale, Inde coops and allslop . Memories! Rum and aniseed No wonder I STILL like to drink, M&B in Smethwick? My Grandad worked at a coach builders for years in Smethwick. John Crump OldBrit. Parker, in SUNNY Colorado USA

Double Diamond, Nut brown ale, Inde coops and allslop . Memories! Rum and aniseed No wonder I STILL like to drink, M&B in Smethwick? My Grandad worked at a coach builders for years in Smethwick. John Crump OldBrit. Parker, in SUNNY Colorado USA
Mention of Double Diamonds always reminds me of a glorious Devon camping holiday I had in the good old 1950's. We had drunk a few DD's before we moved on to shorts in this Pub. Our sun tans faded away eventually !
3_in_Pub_Berrynarbor_1954.jpg

l remember that horrible purple stuff we had put on us if we had imbertigo...l was about 13 when l was sent to the Albert Rd by the headmistress,miss Azlin she was concerned about the rash etc l had on my face....we had just returned back to school after our summer holidays and after diagoised with impertigo l had to stay home another week going to the clinic everyday to have the scabes soaked and peeled off and l was plastered with that purple stuff all over my face, l thought everbody was looking at me so l wore a big straw hat with a wide brim, thinking back now l'm sure the hat demanded more attention that my purple face......these days if one gets imbertigo the doc will give a pill dose for a few days and your cured....Brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back