• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Itchycoo park Bordesley Green

mhemery

master brummie
There were two parks in bordesley when I went to ada rd school 1965/70 the first one near to ada rd was the one we knew as itchycoo park this was the one with the large circular cinder track then you went down steps to a lower level where the roundabout and witches hat and swings were located the other park was near garrison lane where they used to have the fair every so often, i belive they are both still there.Bordesley%20.jpg all the best Michael.

brummie nick

master brummie
You are right Michael, the park was Keeley St Park and was known as itchycoo park.
I also went to Ada Rd school back in 1944-48'

lesg128

george 1st
Hi mhemery
Many thanks for map showing itchycoo park. The park shown at the end of Garrison Lane is certainly the one I remember as 'itchycoo'.
I was only about 6-7 yrears old so don't think I would have strayed as far as Keeley St. or Ada St. to play.
brummie nick what a marvellous photo. Those swings in the background are the type I remember. Everything solid iron.
lesg128

mhemery

master brummie
Hi lesg128 Glad you liked the map, but im 99.9% sure there were no swings or roundabouts in the park at the bottom of garrison lane, brummie nicks photo shows kingston hill park
which is the park opposite ada rd school although the lower end of it, you can see the steps on the right to the upper level.KingstoneHillPark.jpg all the best Michael.

A Sparks

master brummie
I'm afraid that none of the various etymologies given for the song here, list the Park in Garrison Lane. Though the Rose Hips seed explanation sounds good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itchycoo_Park
I was interested to read that, I live in London now and I heard that 'Itchycoo Park' was the ground around Spitalfields Church (very near to Spitalfields Market and Petticoat Lane - aka Middlesex street) and it got that name as many rough sleepers in Victorian times who had picked up fleas used to use the benches in the park.

The article I read it in was here https://www.spitalfieldslife.com/2011/08/02/at-itchy-park-with-jack-london/

carolina

master brummie
This is whats on Wikipedia
A number of sources claim the song's name is derived from the nickname of Little Ilford Park, on Church Road in the London suburb of Manor Park, where Small Faces' singer and song-writer Steve Marriott grew up. The "itchycoo" nickname is, in turn, attributed to the stinging nettles which grew there. Other sources cite nearby Wanstead Flats (Manor Park end) as the inspiration for the song.[SUP][7][/SUP]

Photo of Wanstead Flats, London E12 near Marriott's Manor Park home​

Marriott and Small Faces manager Tony Calder came up with the well-known story when Marriott was told the BBC had banned the song for its overt drug references, Calder confirms:
"We scammed the story together, we told the BBC that Itchycoo Park was a piece of waste ground in the East End that the band had played on as kids – we put the story out at ten and by lunchtime we were told the ban was off."[SUP][8][/SUP]
Ronnie Lane on the true location of Itchycoo Park:
"It's a place we used to go to in Ilford years ago. Some bloke we know suggested it to us because it's full of nettles and you keep scratching actually".[SUP][9][/SUP]
[h=3]Other possible etymologies[edit][/h]Another local park, in the nearby town of Ilford, called Valentines Park, was also often referred to as Itchycoo Park.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] Despite all these claims as to which park is the original Itchycoo park, in an interview Steve Marriot has stated that "It's Valentine's Park in Ilford. We used to go there and get stung by wasps. It's what we used to call it". The interview was repeated on a biopic of Small Faces bass player Ronnie Lane.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Itchy Park is located in the East End of London and dates back to the Victorian era.[SUP][10][/SUP]
The hairy seeds from rose hips were called "Itchycoos" by English children in the 1950s.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] The seeds could be broken out of the berry and dropped down someone's collar between shirt and back to cause itching.[SUP][11][/SUP]
[h=2][/h]

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
mhemery

I remember very well the swings and roundabouts in the Garrison Lane Park. The top half was grass and the bottom half that was down a little ramp had swings and roundabouts. Which were set into a black patch.

mhemery

master brummie
I think us kids at the time called our local park Itchycoo because of the 60's record, I don't think for a minute they named the song after our park. Michael

mhemery

master brummie
mhemery

I remember very well the swings and roundabouts in the Garrison Lane Park. The top half was grass and the bottom half that was down a little ramp had swings and roundabouts. Which were set into a black patch.
I bow to your superior knowledge Phil, but I don't remember any in my day 1965/70 aged 11 to 15. Michael

lesg128

george 1st
Thanks michael
I was only referring to the type of swings etc. that the Victorians made. Sorry for the misleading comment.
I remember swings and a slide back in 1936-37
les

acklam19

master brummie
Hi All
It seems as though the park I knew as Itchycoo was really Kingston park and although we played quite often at Garrison Lane park I can not recall ever thinking it was Itchycoo, all the things said about both parks have bought back wonderful memories of a childhood spent there as it was near to where I lived in Arthur Street, I am talking early 1940s now.
All the best Acklam19

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
I bow to your superior knowledge Phil, but I don't remember any in my day 1965/70 aged 11 to 15. Michael

Michael

I'm talking around the mid 50's, and my knowledge is superior to no one, it's just this site that keeps it active and brings back many long forgotten memories. It also shows me occasionally that things I could have sworn were fact are sometime just figments of my overactive imagination.

mhemery

master brummie
Michael

I'm talking around the mid 50's, and my knowledge is superior to no one, it's just this site that keeps it active and brings back many long forgotten memories. It also shows me occasionally that things I could have sworn were fact are sometime just figments of my overactive imagination.
When I say I bow to your superior Knowledge,this is usually given and taken as a compliment, no offence meant, Michael.

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
I always knew it as Itchycoo Park and they had the fair on the lower section every Autumn.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys
Without changing the subject of itchcoo park our local park in Ladywood was up the monument road and on the corner of the old lady wood
Road and facing resovoir rd, we called it blue bottle park for the reason it was next to the old Ladywood police station
And all the police officers at that Ladywood police station which incidently for information was c, division
Would all walk through the park making there way out or in back to the station after duty
It wasa big park with all its apparatus witches hat round about the see saw etc,
At that time it was surrounded by big huge black metal railings with a gate on monument rd, and around on the old ladywood rd exit
Which was just yards from the police station the parkie. Had a big high round hut where he sat in and the police officers was always walking
Constantly all day long that's why all the kids of Ladywood nic named it blue bottle park,,, best wishes astonian,,,,,