• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Italians in Birmingham

There was a large number of Italian families living in the area of Gaskell and Chambers factory now the area is Aston Uni, one family name was Alberici?, there was another family named Tamborelli? which sold piano accordions and gave lessons.
Hi there, I never realised there was a forum like this and have just happened upon it! My grandfather was Clem Alberici and there were 3 boys, my uncles Clementine, Albert and Bernard and 3 girls - Patricia, Lilian and Marie (my mother) who is now 86. There is my mum and one surviving sister Lilian. I’m Tracey and overall we are quite a large family!

hello tracy and welcome to the forum...there is plenty to read about on here so enjoy...if you need any help just give us a shout

lyn

Up to 1954 I was taught to play the Accordian by Giacomo Tamboura & his father at the back of there shop.Micheal Beattie Volante was very good friends with my mother and the Parslow family,Mary,Phyllis and Kathleen,Nicholas Joey andFrankie.I also remember my mother talking about the Alberici family.She used to sell ice cream from a bike for the makers in Vauxhall Rd when she was young

Tamboura had a shop in Stafford Street from about 1955 until they were demolished in about 1962, I worked over the road opposite W. H. Price.

Giacomo Tamboura in 1956 and some fascinating family history. Viv.

Attachments

• 4D46C058-4ABD-441D-A6D0-BF2E99E0BAF2.jpeg
    4D46C058-4ABD-441D-A6D0-BF2E99E0BAF2.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 19
  • C3C82D6D-5352-4223-A3C5-A56CEF333F91.jpeg
    C3C82D6D-5352-4223-A3C5-A56CEF333F91.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 17
Vivienne,that's were Jackie (Giaccomo ) taught me to play the Accordian in Newton Street .When he couldn't be there Fillipo his Dad taught me.He was much stricter than Jackie.Stopped going for lessons when we moved to Kitts Green.The Accordian was so heavy to take on the bus at 12 years old.What good memories .

Giacomo Tamboura in 1956 and some fascinating family history. Viv.

i agree viv thats very interesting...i wonder what became of jack...did he make the trip to his native country and if so did he come back to birmingham

lyn

Hi there, I never realised there was a forum like this and have just happened upon it! My grandfather was Clem Alberici and there were 3 boys, my uncles Clementine, Albert and Bernard and 3 girls - Patricia, Lilian and Marie (my mother) who is now 86. There is my mum and one surviving sister Lilian. I’m Tracey and overall we are quite a large family!
Hi, my dads Grandad is young Clem Alberici and his Nan is Annie Violet Alberici, my dads mom is called Maureen Alberici.

Last edited:
Hi my mother Madeline Green (89) lived next door to your mom Marie Alberici in Erskine street Vauxhall When they were young!
kind regards
Maria

Hi my grandfather is Clem Alberici my mom is his daughter ann Christine alberici & the other siblings are Clem, Jean , Maureen & David ( only Maureen snd Jean are alive now my mom passed away on April 20th 23 ( she was 85 years old ) , Bernard & Albert came to my wedding in 1983 . My mom used to sing songs in Italian she learnt them from her grandmother of the Changreta clan . I can't quite make out Tracey the link but it's close and very strong my uncle David had managed to put together the whole family tree before he died about 20/25 years ago , he used to occasionally visit my mom & he left a segment of the tree , this was before the internet age . My family name was different when she married my dad , but I kept my moms family name when I emigrated to USA in early 80s .

Up to 1954 I was taught to play the Accordian by Giacomo Tamboura & his father at the back of there shop.Micheal Beattie Volante was very good friends with my mother and the Parslow family,Mary,Phyllis and Kathleen,Nicholas Joey andFrankie.I also remember my mother talking about the Alberici family.She used to sell ice cream from a bike for the makers in Vauxhall Rd when she was young
She probably sold ice cream to my mom Ann alberici my mom was about 16 in 1954

She probably sold ice cream to my mom Ann alberici my mom was about 16 in 1954
Hi Gary,

My Dad Phillip his mom is Maureen, we heard Ann passed away in April by a family friend. Dad still sees his cousins Carly, Linda, Paul, Fared when they come down to the family business in Nechells but I have tried to make contact with Mark but seems he doesn’t want to talk which is to be expected.

A lot went on with my dads mom so he hasn’t spoken to her in 20 years since I was about 18 months old.

We still speak to Gina and Margaret Alberici as well and they have gave us some information.

It would be lovely to hear from you and make contact if you’re happy too to private message me.

Regards
Sophie, Phillips Daughter

Has anyone got any info on the great Brook street areas around 1947-1957 Harrison family Annie Maria was the mums name she had about 6 children , June Charlotte was one of them- she worked at Co-op dairy , she had a baby with an Italian from the area trying to trace links to the past

Has anyone got any info on the great Brook street areas around 1947-1957 Harrison family Annie Maria was the mums name she had about 6 children , June Charlotte was one of them- she worked at Co-op dairy , she had a baby with an Italian from the area trying to trace links to the past

A little more info needed. If you want info on the area then is it a specific road or building? If it's family related, then a few more dates or names would help, Harrison is a bit too common to make guesses with.

If it is the latter it may be better to start a thread in surnames interest, where it should be noticed more.

My late wife's paternal grandmother (Florence Kate Mathews) was married to an Italian, Louige Saragine.
In the 1911 census they lived in Lower Trinity Street. Louiges occupation was shown as ice cream vendor with
Florence Kate shown as assisting in the business.
Unfortunately, apart from that the only information I can find on him concerns his death in 1915 from TB in the
Little Bromwich Sanatorium.

Frustrating for you. No apparent marriage record, only one mention on the census, so can't be certain of the spelling or where in Italy he may have come from. And no one else with a similar name.

Is the William Saragine, who appears to have received a medal from the King (with the wrong ribbon) mentioned in the newspapers, Louige and Florence's son?

Yes, William was there son.
My late wife's father was Williams half brother, Florence Kate marrying again in 1917.
Sadly over the years those who may have information on Louige have either passed away
or simply lost touch with other family members.
Still I will keep plugging away and who knows one day I may be able to fill in some gaps
In the families history.
Many thanks for replying.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Was there many Italian POWs living in the Birmingham Aston area after 1943 when they were all freed, I am tracing any that may have worked for the old macaden dairy in the dudeston area of brum and settled in the area after the war

Back