• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Italians in Birmingham

R

r.puccini

Hello,
We are looking for our ancestor lived in Birmingham from 1795 to 1805 (more or less). He was an italian and his name was Francesco Puccini,

about our ancestor Francesco Puccini, we have the following informations:
he left Italy, single, in 1780 and lived in England until 1815. Probably he get married in England with Mariae (we don' t know her family name) and he came back in Italy, with two daughters, Elisabetta and Carolina.
On www.FamilySearch.org we founded Elisabetta's christening, 18/04/1802 in Saint Peter-RC, Birmingham, and also christening of another son, Josephus Dominicus, 16/07/1804, in the same church, perhaps died before 1815. We didn't found nothing about Carolina.
Can you recommend us some books about urban history of B,ham? Are there some immage of that neighbourhood and of the St Peter Church?
I searched on church plane on line, but I did non find nothing.
regards, r.puccini.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello & Most Welcome r.puccini,,:)

We are happy to see you researching your family with Birmingham ancestry
Certainly the "Brummies" on this site will be assisting you shortly,
Your information is correct,,There was quite a large Italian community in
B,ham around that time & many stayed to have extensive families still
residing in & around B,ham & suburbs to this present day.

The "Italian Quarter" as i beleive 1800- 1940,s was mainly around Central B,ham
Hurst Street to Holloway Head, Bristol Road, Broad St ,
Others will have better specific information,, so hold on a while &
your information you desire will arrive,
Best regards JohnY:cool:

There was also a large Italian community around St. Michaels Church in the Carrs Lane/Bartholemew Street area.

Yes Charlie :) I agree, i think that was around 1900,s, my family around there too
& had Italian neighbours,, i think the Taroni family origins there & Aston later.

Ok :) r.puccini, do you have the names of the Two children christened in
St Peters R C Church & the dates if possible?
Have you looked on Census 1841,51,61 etc for your family yet?
All information that you can provide will hep the "searchers" on here to help you,
Best regards JohnY:cool:

My mother spoke about a Family of Italian Ice Cream Makers who her family knew in Vaxhall or Duddeston around the 1930s

Ciao Alf,
we are searching about people lived in B,ham from 1790 to 1815. Our ancestor was a paper flower seller.
thanks, r.puccini.

italian in B,ham 1800

Hello,
We are looking abaut our ancestor Francesco Puccini, and we have the following informations:
he left Italy, single, in 1780 and lived in England until 1815. Probably he get married in England with Mariae (we don' t know her family name) and he came back in Italy, with two daughters, Elisabetta and Carolina.
On www.FamilySearch.org we founded Elisabetta's christening, 18/04/1802 in Saint Peter-RC, Birmingham, and also christening of another son, Josephus Dominicus, 16/07/1804, in the same church, perhaps died before 1815. We didn't found nothing about Carolina.
Can you help us, and first of all, can you recommend us some books about urban history of B,ham?
regards, r.puccini

I've found it, its called Bella Brum by Doreen Hopwood and Margaret Dilloway, foreward by Carl Chinn. I have relatives with Italian ancestry so I am particularly interested in this as well. Good luck with your research. :)

I've looked in Bella Brum but there is no mention of the Puccini family mentioned.:(

Re: italian in B,ham 1800

Hello r,puccini,,:) you have some good replies & a photo on your other
posting,just press on your name,then other posts & you will find,
Best regards to you, your Family, Ancestors & Italia,, JohnY:cool:

I have Bella Brum, and was most disappointed that my lot, wasn't there, though my grandmothers oldest sister's godfather was!:)Great book!

I have merged your two requests into one thread, this will help to stop repeated info' and confusion
:)
Hello r,puccini,,:) you have some good replies & a photo on your other
posting,just press on your name,then other posts & you will find,
Best regards to you, your Family, Ancestors & Italia,, JohnY:cool:

Good luck with your search

Pom :angel:

There was a large number of Italian families living in the area of Gaskell and Chambers factory now the area is Aston Uni, one family name was Alberici?, there was another family named Tamborelli? which sold piano accordions and gave lessons.

Hello sheronb, In 1956 through my marriage, Madeline Albericci became my sister-in-law, her husband was Albert Dickson and i married his sister, Rose was a real happy Italian mom she was Madeline mother, there was one named Clem who was a builder, they were a large family and i can`t remember the names now it was a long time ago, Madeline was beautiful looking lady. i saw her about 3yrs ago, she was 92 yrs young i dont know if she is still alive, i hope she is, she was a nice person.

ciao,
well, in Phillipmore's Parish Registers Warwickshire, we have founded the baptisms of two children of our ancestor Francesco Puccini, but nothing else about his marriage with Mariae or other events of his life. Pheraps he lived also in other cities...may be London. Are there other records (CD, books...) about Marriages and burials in B,ham and in Warwickshire?

We wonder which were the main routes covered by english and foreing travellers in the fist years of 1800. And which were the routes covered by people who came in England by South Europe?

A lot of question!
Regards.r.puccini

I can`t remember his name but there was an Italian immigrant competing in the Olympic games Marathon race who would have won the race but stumbled and fell before crossing the finish line, was helped up, but was disqualified because he had help, any one know any info on this?.

Hi r.puccini

I will be honest and say, i don't have a clue what this says but i do recognise your names you mentioned --

Warwick: - Registers of Baptisms, 1657-1824 1578. Burials. Nota Quod Solummodo Dies Nativitatis Eorum Annotentur et Anni a Vigesima Quinta Die Martis Sumant Exordium. 1804. County: Warwick Country: England Josephus Dominicus, fs. Francisci & Mariae Puccini: pat. Carolus Ravani nat. 03 Jul 1804 16 Jul 1804
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Warwick: - Registers of Baptisms, 1657-1824 1578. Burials. Nota Quod Solummodo Dies Nativitatis Eorum Annotentur et Anni a Vigesima Quinta Die Martis Sumant Exordium. 1802. County: Warwick Country: England Elizabetha, fa. Francisci [Caroli erased] et Mariae Puccini: pat. Carolus Ravanni nat. 26 Mar 1802 18 Apr 1802
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps in some way

bren

Hello Lencops. I believe we're related somewhere along the line!

Madeline Alberici (now 93) is my dad's cousin. Her mom Mary being one of the sisters of my late nan Louise, who married Frank Oldham.

It was interesting reading about Dorando Pietri. It was at one time mentioned that he was my grandfather. However this turned out to be a fabrication. Dorando's identity was usurped by one Pietro Palleschi and this was my grandfather.

Hello Lencops. I believe we're related somewhere along the line!

Madeline Alberici (now 93) is my dad's cousin. Her mom Mary being one of the sisters of my late nan Louise, who married Frank Oldham.

It was interesting reading about Dorando Pietri. It was at one time mentioned that he was my grandfather. However this turned out to be a fabrication. Dorando's identity was usurped by one Pietro Palleschi and this was my grandfather.
Madeline Alberici was my sister in law from 1956 to 1967 when i divorced, Madeline is a lovely lady in looks & her dealings with other people, i am still in touch with her through her daughter, Pamela, she lives in a sheltered flat close to her daughter, whenever i see her which is not often as i would like i tell her how lovely she is, a truly lovely lady, her Mom Mary was a really happy lady and it was a pleasure to meet her. Len

Madeleine's mom Mary was my aunt. She was quite a character and utterly unforgettable. I only met her a few times, as living in Cornwall our visits to Brum became very infrequent. Dad still writes to Pamela on occasions as she's his 2nd cousin.

Mary was one of 5 sisters. The others being Louise (my nan), Chris, Doll & Liz. Sadly all gone now but we have happy memories of them all.

Bickerman, I emailed the thread to Pam and this is the reply, (Karen is Pam`s cousin). Len.
Rather%20Not%20Say.gif

icon1.gif
thanks Len
Hi Len ,
thanks for the message. I clicked on and realised Bickerman is Mom`s cousins son!
Mom asked me to get in touch with him, and to send her good wishes to you.
Karen and her family came to visit today, and we had a good old chinwag about the old days, happy times and good laughs,
best wishes to you all
Pam & H.

What a small world! Pam has been in touch and it's great to hear that everyone is well. We easily lose touch with people here in Cornwall. The wonders of the internet!

Back