• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Italian Car Dealers in Brum in the 80's ?

B

Bald Reynard

Can anyone shed any light on names of Alfa Romeo and Lancia car dealerships in Brum in the early 1980's ? I seem to remember buying an Alfasud from a dealership in Sparkhill (Stratford Rd) with an Italian name and a Lancia Beta (yes, I know, both potential 'rustbuckets' - but I didn't have a problem with either !) from a dealership in Erdington (could have been Colmore Depot, but I can't remember). Memory's gone, but it would be good to try and 'restore' some background on what were 2 very good cars - the first 'foreign' vehicles I bought (like a lot of Brummies in the 80's !).:confused2:

Bald Reynard, I am almost certain it was De Lotti, i was thinking of buying a Lancia with the Boxer Flat Four Engine?, but my friend told me not too, i am glad i listened to him!. Len.

Mario Delotti

Corner of Oakwood Rd and Stratford Rd, Sparkhill by the park, but I seem to remember him in Sparkbrook before that, but I just can't place where. It might have been on Ladypool Rd opposite the Angel.

Phil

I had a new Alfasud from Dellotti, what a heap of junk it was, no wonder it only came with 6 months warranty, :rolleyes:the weird front brake disks weren't on the hubs but each side of the engine block & they used to overheat & start pulling to one side, had them changed twice, massive oil leaks & the engine used as much oil as petrol, also the unbelievable rattling chain noise when idling, they all had that :shocked:& don't start me on about the rust:redface:

Mario Delotti

Corner of Oakwood Rd and Stratford Rd, Sparkhill by the park, but I seem to remember him in Sparkbrook before that, but I just can't place where. It might have been on Ladypool Rd opposite the Angel.

Phil

Spot on Phil ! The Sparkhill Alfa dealer WAS Mario Delotti.
Can anyone now help with the Lancia dealer in Erdington - is my memory playing tricks if I thought it was Colmore Depot (I also think they - whoever they were - were Fiat dealers) ?

We worked on the new building on Stratford Rd. If I remember right it had first floor showroom for the cars, accessed be an interior ramp. Quite surprising as it wasn't that big a building.

Phil

I think you may be correct in the Colmore Depot thoughts. After old man Charlesworth died it was run by his son Bob and whether the recession or whatever it slowly slipped into oblivion.

Colmore Depot used to be one of the biggest dealerships in Brum I believe. The main place being near New St Station and a repair depot in Cherrywood Rd,Bordesley Green.

Mario Dellioti was on the corner of Ladypool Road and Stratford Road in the early 70s. I remember being in the showroom listening to Mario tell a disgruntled customer that the rust that had appeared on his quite new car was not guaranteed because when you bought an Alfa Romeo, you only purchased the engine and gearbox, everything else was free.

Colmore Depot had a commercial vehicle depot on the Walsall road next to Tucker Eyelets. The showroom/workshop for Fiat and Lancia were on the Sutton Road Erdington. The building is still there, now used as a lighting showroom. The Ferrari workshops for Colmore were next to the Villa ground almost opposite the old tram sheds.

Mario Dellioti was on the corner of Ladypool Road and Stratford Road in the early 70s. I remember being in the showroom listening to Mario tell a disgruntled customer that the rust that had appeared on his quite new car was not guaranteed because when you bought an Alfa Romeo, you only purchased the engine and gearbox, everything else was free.

Colmore Depot had a commercial vehicle depot on the Walsall road next to Tucker Eyelets. The showroom/workshop for Fiat and Lancia were on the Sutton Road Erdington. The building is still there, now used as a lighting showroom. The Ferrari workshops for Colmore were next to the Villa ground almost opposite the old tram sheds.

Thanks very much, you've been very helpful Bob. It all comes back to me now - Sutton Road, Erdington was a combined Fiat and Lancia dealership - with a showroom showing off the Italian cars in all their glory (until you took them out in the Birmingham rain !) - I don't know when it closed, but a lighting showroom now seems very apt !

Some Alfa trivia -there are only six Alfa 6 left in the UK
Lancia left the UK market in 1995 and have not returned

Colmore Ferrari was West Brom
Hall Green Fiat, Lancia Lotus
Erdington Fiat & Diahtsu
Hill St SAAB
Gilbertstone, Cov Rd Workshop & second hand cars
Witton Lane workshops

Mario Dellioti himself retired.He is 80yrs old and lives in Bell Heath near Belbroughton

My late friend John Barr worked on sales at central Birmingham Colmore Depot.
He sold 'Auntie' Jean Morton (of Tinga & Tucker fame) her Ferrari Dino. Apparently she used to tip nicely when they had to go out and change spark plugs when she flooded the engine trying to start it.

Back