• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Islington County Primary School Piggott Street

G

gham

Islington Senior Council School, Pigott Street
Gham

Edit. An bextract below about the school from British History Online:

ISLINGTON COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Pigott Street.(27) Islington Wesleyan Sch., St. Martin's St. (see also Ruston St. Wesleyan Sch.), opened 1866,(22) in converted chapel, with help from Wesleyan Ed. Cttee.(33) In 2 rooms (M, I) with a master and mistress. Fees 2d.–6d.(22) A.a. 1869: 361.(1) Fees of 108 pupils paid by Birm. Ed. Soc. in 1869.(10) Accom. by 1880: 718.(1) Enlarged 1894.(21) Name changed c. 1903 to Birmingham Wesleyan Sch. Transferred to Birm. C.B.C. 1922 as Islington Council Sch.(1) Reorganized 1932 for JI. Building taken over 1939 by Petroleum Bd. and sch. accommodated in Islington Senior Council Sch., Pigott St. Senior sch. closed 1946, and its building then used by Islington Csty. Primary Sch.(21) Accom. 1961: 9 classrooms, hall.(28)

Last edited by a moderator:
I attended this school as did 6 of my siblings We lived at 3/17 Ruston Street from about 1935 until 1951.Ruston Street is in Ladywood but the part that we lived in was demolished in the 1960's. I went to that school from 1949 until 1951 when we moved to Anderton Street ,also in Ladywood. I have great memories of that school and Nelson Street, my next school

Back