• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

isle of man TT

hello phenom have you looked at all the posts on this thread because in 2012 i reposted most of the hacked photos of erics racing days? they start on post 96...i will also inform erics remaining son that you are looking after his dads bike and thanks for the photo of it...erics son is now custodian of all of erics cups..medals and of course the large photo album...

lyn

Walter Leslie Handley....winner of the I.O.M. TT race in 1927.....he was my first cousin twice removed....died in 1941 in a air crash.....Birmingham Born....

tt 1927.jpgtt.jpg

Walter Leslie Handley....winner of the I.O.M. TT race in 1927.....he was my first cousin twice removed....died in 1941 in a air crash.....Birmingham Born....

View attachment 133233View attachment 133234

Hello aston lad,

It's great to see some of these old photos yours & astonesses, my Dad was in the trade for years and work ed on a wide variety of motorbikes for some of the top racers at that time, including, scrambles, speedway, tt solos & sidecars (eric oliver was one I recall). I had two friends who used to race sidecars in the late 60's & early 70's (Pat Sheridan & Phil Smith) until they got killed at Oulton park August bank holiday 1971 what a tragedy that was.

Lozellian.

Lozellian .....Can I ask you how old was Pat Sheridan ?...and was he an Aston born lad ?...
Lozellian .....Can I ask you how old was Pat Sheridan ?...and was he an Aston born lad ?...

Hi aston lad,

I'll be honest mate I'm not entirely sure he could have been, I got to know Pat through Phil (passenger) as a mate of mine worked for him at the time, they were both great lads and we used to go to all of the UK circuits with them (carrying the spares in the back of another van). I'm fairly sure Phil was 26 at the time of his untimely death and I think Pat was just that bit older around 28 /29 but, couldn't be certain.

Lozellian.

Hello again aston lad,

A couple of the other lads who I believe were from brum we got to know were the Hanks brothers (slade road erdington) & Pete (piccolo) Williams (BSA & Hillman Imp powered) passengers name was Mick from Lea Village (can't remember his surname though).

Lozellian.

I knew a Pat Sheirdan at school he was a year older than myself, he used to look after me...In 1971 he would have only been 19 or 20, I did hear that he died a long time ago but didn't know when ....I don't think it was the Pat I knew.....I am not a motor cycle fan as such but have heard of one or two riders....

I've found these newspaper reports about the accident, but have only found one death which could be correct. It's for a Pearce Joseph Sheridan dob 5 August 1940 (so correct age) whose death was registered Sept quarter 1971 at Cheshire 10a 504. Reports are very similar, but thought I'd post what I'd found.

Attachments

• pat sheridan death 1971 a.JPG
    pat sheridan death 1971 a.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 18
  • pat sheridan death 1971 b.JPG
    pat sheridan death 1971 b.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 21
  • pat sheridan death 1971 c.JPG
    pat sheridan death 1971 c.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 19
  • pat sheridan death 1971 d.JPG
    pat sheridan death 1971 d.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 20
  • pat sheridan death 1971 e.JPG
    pat sheridan death 1971 e.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 18
Hello again aston lad,

A couple of the other lads who I believe were from brum we got to know were the Hanks brothers (slade road erdington) & Pete (piccolo) Williams (BSA & Hillman Imp powered) passengers name was Mick from Lea Village (can't remember his surname though).

Lozellian.

Hello aston lad,

I've just remembered Micks surname it was Casey he used to passenger for Pete Brown, the Hanks lads were Roy & Norman & I'm reasonably sure that Rosie (Roys Mrs I think?) used to be his passenger at one time.

Lozellian.

Hi aston lad,

I'll be honest mate I'm not entirely sure he could have been, I got to know Pat through Phil (passenger) as a mate of mine worked for him at the time, they were both great lads and we used to go to all of the UK circuits with them (carrying the spares in the back of another van). I'm fairly sure Phil was 26 at the time of his untimely death and I think Pat was just that bit older around 28 /29 but, couldn't be certain.

Lozellian.

Hi Aston Lad
Hi aston lad,

Lozellian.

Hi aston lad and Lozellian,

Pat Sheridan was 31 when he was killed at Oulton Park, he was born in Dublin, Ireland.. He married a Brummie in 1965 and lived in Smethwick and Dudley till 1971. I'm his daughter Ann.

Ann Sheridan

Hello aston lad,

I've just remembered Micks surname it was Casey he used to passenger for Pete Brown, the Hanks lads were Roy & Norman & I'm reasonably sure that Rosie (Roys Mrs I think?) used to be his passenger at one time.

Lozellian.
Fred Hanks was the Dad and their bike shop was in Slade Road, Erdington, Norman was always smiling as I remember, he used to collect spares from MCA when I worked there arriving on a old bike and box sidecar

Back