• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Island House Eastside

It was always going to be in the way of the Eastside development and its death knell was sounded when they approved the LaTour hotel. Sadly, it is now a demolition site, with the top storey completely gone :sorrow:

yes you are right lesley..they thought that the view from the hotel would be better if they demolished island house..i seem to remember ages back that it was up for thought that the fox and grapes would somehow become a feature to the entrance of the new station..but knowing how things usually pan out this statement was just a case of pulling the wool over our eyes...well im not stupid anyway....carl chinn said he will keep me informed of anything he hears on the fox and grapes and the eagle and tun..

lyn

I'm stunned and saddened that this is still happening in 2012. Development and money come before history and heritage once again......

and the thing is the buildings they are slinging up now will never last and become historical buildings of the future so what history will have left very soon..sheer vandalism...i make no apologies for coming on strong about the loss of our heritage but at the end of the day this is a history forum and i care very deeply about whats left of brums buildings..

lyn

Last edited:
I agree with you lyn. As you know I do like some of the modern building going up but at the same time we must look after our building heritage and Island house was one of them.

like i said earlier froth..they must think we are all stupid...rhett butlers words from the film gone with the wind springs to mind....frankly citizens of birmingham i couldnt give a dam...:mad:

This kind of thing won't stop until the backhanders stop going in the council house.
And that's not likely to happen.
That's what I believe.

Why oh why can't they do what they did in the Bullring bring the old in with the new. St Martins is a real feature amongst all the new buildings. They have done it there so why not in other areas?????????

I agree Frothy, while underhand dealings are going on, there will never be a way to save our heritage.
You would think they would learn from other towns/cities that the historical areas attract visitors - look at Chester, where they have maintained all the history but still have a modern shopping area and the same in liverpool - the Docks have a new build that is very modern, shaped to appear like a boat, amongst the old dock buildings which have been renoveted and house the museums - all free, as I've mentioned before!!!
Such a pity to lose such great buildings.
Sue

You are so right Sue. We often visit the Dock area in Liverpool as Michael worked there and saw the work was being done. It's lovely with the new embracing the old with so much to see. There is also a lovely museum on the river where you can go on board a submarine and a ship. Some of the dock buildings have also been converted to lovely apartments. One story Michael told me when they tried to remove one building by dynamite. Everyone was evacuated and the plunger went down. The building appeared to jump about an inch and land back down as if it hadn't been touched. They don't build em like they used to.
Why can't Birmingham do this? we don't even have a decent museum for our heritage.

Don't know what to say. But I will say it's b****y wrong to do this. Shame on Bham Council. Viv.

Maris, there are some great shots on there, thanks for posting the link.
I wonder if the council put up the poster reading "we will bring this city to its knees" :sour: - it would be fitting considering what they are doing to it!
Sue

Blame the owners Quintain.

Only half of it left now, last I saw from the bus. Is going down fast :sorrow:

HI There brothers and sisters and forum members rest assured it will go ; the developers and planning department of brum
are a power of force until themselves
i have seen and experience a simular sitution regarding a property of my own ;family which was about one hundred years old with history
a couple of years ago ;when i investigate a cerain building and showed an intrest in a certain building which was part of an heritage
to my family ; which prevented me to obtain ;
the demolishion took part over night so to speak within twenty four hours it was demolished and left in a great big pile of debris for weeks before it was actual any of the bricks was removed and takenaway ;
there was a local wittness whomwittness a group whom i cannotname forlegal reasons came around and removed a certain special brick
and took it away ; and wrapped it up in a certain type of paper with in forty eight hours it was all down
which prevented me to purchase this property i was told they made a mistake onselling off this certai piece of land ; and property ;
now this peice of land is just laying emty ; its for sale and as done so for the few years ;
and when i pass it even today i feel disgusted ; about these people
but any way getting back on track ; the fox will go either way no mater what group whom wants to argue over it ; the stationwill remained untouched
that i do know for certain ; so it will be sad to see the old fox going as it will indeed ;
i would have liked to say more but i cannot on this forum for legal reasons ; but i am behind the scene; working on my case
curson street is safe rest assured but the pub ; is a no go ; ASTONIAN;;;;;

Back