• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Isaiah Baker. Tough Nut To Crack!

uncle albert

master brummie
I warn you. This is not an easy one!
I turn to you in the hope that you may be able to help shed some light on the above named gentleman, who has so far evaded all my attempts to get past him to his parents, on my family tree, despite my best efforts on Ancestry and Find my Past.
The best I can offer is that he was Isaiah Baker b. 1837-1841
On the 1871 and 1881 censuses as a scale maker. Wife Mary Ann. ? b. 1841/2
Children were:
Emily b. 1864 , Albert b 1866/7, Alice b. 1868, Mary Ann b. 1871, William b. 1873, and Frances b. 1875.
I also have him on the 1861 census aged 21, living as a lodger.
All records are in Aston/Birmingham.
I have been stuck on this for so long, so any help at all would be very gratefully received.
Many thanks for looking .

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i take it he was born in birmingham?? and you cant find him on the 41 or 51 census ??

lyn

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i think i have found him on the 51 born 1839 ireland aged 12..pauper at the infant poor asylum which would at that time have been in asylum road.. parish of st stephen..district st george..

1861 aged 21 living as you say as a lodger at buckingham st which was only a stones throw from the asylum. again in the parish of st stephen..district st george..this time he is down as born in birmingham..as he was only 11 on the 51 as he got older he most likely assumed he was born in birmingham...

lyn

Last edited:

uncle albert

master brummie
Apologies for the delay, had to run the grandchildren home.
Many thanks for getting back to me Lyn. I think that you have probably nailed him. I'm not sure of course, but the fact that he has been so elusive regarding his parents, combined with your most feasible suggestion, makes it seem very likely indeed. It's a marvellous find on your part, and I congratulate you on that, as well as offering my profound gratitude for solving a riddle that has bugged me for ages.
Considering his pauper birth, he must have been pleased to have been able to employ a servant, as suggested on the 1871 census. That's certainly a unique achievement in my family!
At the end of the day, I guess that without the asylum records, his parents will forever be a mystery.
Thanks once again for your most expert assistance, and very best regards.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
happy to help...and yes isaiah seems to have done ok in the end....i cant find him on the 41 so i am guessing he was in ireland then...just one thing..have you tried finding his marriage to mary ann...if his marriage cert is on ancestry it would be interesting to see if he put the name of his father down..

lyn

uncle albert

master brummie
I've searched desperately for a record of his marriage, for this very reason, plus of course in the hope of finding out his wife's father too. Unfortunately I drew a blank there too.
You see how he has been such a brick wall to me.
Perhaps Irish records may hold details of his birth?
I'm still getting my head around having a drop of Irish blood in me. That's quite a revelation you have performed on me. I can't say I'm altogether displeased at the news either somehow.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
this is why tracing our ancestry is so fascinating...there can be many twists and turns as i myself have found out..:D we are assuming that mary ann and isaiah did marry..but did they:rolleyes: or did they marry well after having children as did my gt grandparents...10 years after the first was born..i will see if i can find a marriage and there are plenty of other members on here who will be happy to help...you could try the irish records for his birth details...nothing to lose

lyn

uncle albert

master brummie
If they did have children before marriage, they wouldn't be the first in my little tribe either. o_O :)
I will get my son to look at the Irish records. He is currently taking advantage of his first free 14 day Ancestry trial. Don't worry, he's unchecked the auto subscription renewal box.
I did find a possible but unconfirmed spouse for Isaiah a while back by the name of Smith. My first thought was "Oh no! please don't give me a Smith to research".
Many thanks again for your kind input.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
just found a possible 2 marriages

isaiah baker to mary ann smith west bromwich 1863:eek:
isaiah baker to mary ann tranter again west bromwich 1864

its a pity that anc do not have the marr cert images for these..

will do a bit more digging tomorrow

lyn

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a couple of points to check, on all the census after 1851 he says born birmingham and there is a birth of an Isaiah Baker 1839 Birmingham and also his wife is Mary J on the 1881 which rules out both Mary Anns.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
morning alberta yes i noticed that it says mary j on the 81 could just be an error as on the 71 she is down as mary ann all the childrens names and ages match up on both the 71 and 81 and they do have a daughter mary ann ...what is interesting is you say you have found a birth for an isaiah baker b birmingham 1839..i couldnt find that record..do you have a ref number for that one...??

lyn

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi uncle albert....do you think its just a coinsidence that on the 71 census the servant that is living with isaiah and mary ann is named emily smith:rolleyes:

lyn

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
oh dear oh dear alberta i have now found that birth record...well this is now becoming a mystery:eek: either the isaiah baker b 1839 i found on the 51 in the childrens poor home born ireland is the wrong one or he could be the right one and place of birth was written down wrong and should have read b birmingham..cant find him on the 41...it is at this point i shall go back to bed :D

lyn

Last edited:

uncle albert

master brummie
Top o' the morning to ya!
I warned you it wasn't an easy one:)
Many thanks for your input Alberta. I noticed the discrepancy on the 1881 census, but have always settled for Mary Ann for the reasons that Lyn mentioned.
I had however been too dumb to have seen the possible/probable connection with the possible spouse Smith and the "servant" girl Smith. That is a good shout and would seem well feasible.
I hadn't come across a Birmingham birth for Isaiah either, so hats off to you for that Alberta.
The plot thickens. I'm so grateful for all your help. I wonder where we go from here.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
morning albert...well for now i am still inclined to go with isaiah on the 51 if only because i cant find any others on the 41 and i can only find 1 on the 61.71 and 61 that fits his age..of course smith is common but i guess a look up to see if we can find an emily smith and mary ann smith as sisters on the 61 although having said that if they were sisters on the 71 it should have said..relationship to head of house as sister in law but its got servant:D...we plod on ..early days yet

lyn

uncle albert

master brummie
Thanks Lyn. I've been looking for the Smith girls as you suggested but nothing yet. Alberta's Brum born Isaiah has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons somewhat, but the lack of Isaiahs around suggest to me that they are all one and the same, with a transcription error involved somewhere.
I've been on this little merry go round with the pair of them for a couple of years now, so I know it's a tough one, but I'm encouraged by your optimism Lyn.:)

uncle albert

master brummie
Scrub that last comment about there only being one Isaiah. The two separate marriages would seem to indicate that there were obviously two.
That is of course, unless he married miss Smith first, then she died and he remarried miss Tranter the following year.
That's happened before with another branch of my tree with John Hollins marrying at 20 as a widower. I wonder if it says widower on the Tranter document.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
mary ann tranter married either thomas hinett or thomas flowers july quarter 1865 birmingham..ref 62 212