• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Isaac Charles

sarunte43

master brummie
Born Jun 1879. Old Hill, Staffordshire
On 11 Sept 1915, joined South Staffs Regiment at Wolverhampton, Pte. Charles #17386 was first sent to the Balkans and then to France, Flanders where he died of wounds on 25 Mar 1918 - Operation Michael was taking place at the time of his death.

I have found the cemetery where he is buried in France.

A newspaper clipping (photo) was sent to my Grandmother (his sister) but there is no date or information about which paper it came out of.
His last address is shown to have been High Heath, Pelsall.

Is there anyone who might know how to find the name of the newspaper for Pelsall in 1918?

SR

I have this on him

A native of Old Hill, Isaac was the son of Thomas and Leah Charles, his father, who predeceased him, being a coal miner. His parents resided for a time in Ash Tree Street, High Heath, Pelsall and later at Church Street, Clayhanger. He was employed as a miner at The Fair Lady Colliery, Heath Hayes.
Enlisting at Wolverhampton in February 1915, he saw active service at Gallipoli with the 7th Battalion within the regiment and was then drafted to France where he was wounded on Saturday 9 June 1917 when he received shrapnel wounds in the chest. Returned home to convalesce, he returned to the front in January 1918.
During March 1918 his battalion were in brickworks in the Cuinchy sector, south of the La Bassée Canal. Isaac was wounded on Monday 25 March 1918, his battalion, who had been in support billets in Le Preol, relieving the 1/6th Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment in trenches in Cuinchy.
The War Diary (in part) records,
“25 March 1918 - Le Preol. Night passed without mishap; our artillery was quiet.
9am relieved 1/6th Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment in front line. Posts taken over very carefully. A prisoner said that the enemy would attack by moonlight. 17386 Private Charles was wounded.”
He was removed to the 10th Stationary Hospital at St. Omer for treatment but succumbed to his wounds at 36 years of age.
Isaac is buried in Longuenesse (St. Omer) Souvenir Cemetery in Grave IV.F.78 and is commemorated on the Walsall Wood War memorial and also an addendum panel added to Pelsall war memorial.
Isaac’s brother Thomas served in the Royal Army Medical Corps with service number 52578. Another brother, Joseph, served in the 11th Battalion, Sherwood Foresters with service number 18182 and was discharges in 1919 having suffered a leg wound.

The newspapers are the Walsall Observer and also the Staffordshire Pioneer. He is also mentioned in Ken Wayman's book 'The True and Faithful Men'. about Pelsall's WW1 losses.

Hi , did you manage to get a photo of Issac Charles through your request. I know the charles family very well.

Dave

Hi, Dave
I have one photo of Isaac Charles which made its way to Canada not longer after he died in the war. As well, I know Mr. Wayman and have the book you mention. if you would like to reply via instant message, would like to hear more of the Charles family.
SR

Back