• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Is This Your Motor?

Bob, and that is very sad but very true!
You mentioned, Richard, that you drove a Fiat Strada- just wondering, what were they like? Where they mechanically good? Do you remember the amazing advert on the telly when they launched the model, with the robots working to classical music?! I was tempted to test drive one as I liked the futuristic looks, but the wife didn't think much of it so I bought a Cortina and played it safe!

You mentioned, Richard, that you drove a Fiat Strada- just wondering, what were they like? Where they mechanically good? Do you remember the amazing advert on the telly when they launched the model, with the robots working to classical music?! I was tempted to test drive one as I liked the futuristic looks, but the wife didn't think much of it so I bought a Cortina and played it safe!
Alf, If I said that I had a Strads, I misspoke. I did have two friends that did. Mechanically they were OK until the new (about 2 years) wore off. In the US FIAT means "fix it again Tony". The other problem I recall is that they rusted badly particularly in the northern US states.
Hope tat helps!

there is a thread on the j40

They were famed for it - as was the Marina. Always just straightening up after a slight bend (i.e. going round an island). Due to lack of grease on the swivel joint, bad maintenance.
i had a marina tc. i took the trunnions and legs off drilled and tapped the leg and drilled the trunnion and screwed them back on after filling them with grease and loctited a bolt with a thick washer on through the trunnion into the leg
they never came off again. the original shocks left in place minus the valve,and tele shockf fitted:grinning:

I had a tired old Morris 1000 traveller in my yard, a young lady customer begged me to restore it for her so when business was a bit quiet I fixed it up pretty well like new, mechanics all good interior spotless etc.
She and her husband came to look it over, inspected it carefully, she said "There's hole in the floor."
It was a hole that required a rubber grommet which I was waiting for from the dealers and I told he so.
She responded "Oh good, we wouldn't want our goats to fall out." :rolleyes:

i was behind one with 2 girls driving it it had wider wheels. i was in my mexico every time i got close to it it shot off and left me standing:) i always wonder'd what running gear it had:grinning:

"Is this your motor?".....A bit unlikely a question, this, as the image isn't good enough to show the numberplate! And it's probably as far back as winter 1941 or 1942 as well. Foley Road, Streetly. A fairly bog-standard car but I can't remember its make. Any suggestions please?

There's another car overtaking, perhaps a Morris of some sort?

Thanks.

Chris

Conversation10.jpg

"Is this your motor?".....A bit unlikely a question, this, as the image isn't good enough to show the numberplate! And it's probably as far back as winter 1941 or 1942 as well. Foley Road, Streetly. A fairly bog-standard car but I can't remember its make. Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

Chris

View attachment 177001
1937 Austin 10 Cambridge. Overtaking car is a bit too fuzzy for accurate identification. Twin D shaped rear windows are the best way to tell its a Cambridge. You can see one masked headlight, and the white circles on the front wings, proving that it’s a wartime picture. Wonder where they got the petrol from?

Attachments

• 3A36212E-7406-4C2B-963D-269DF08E1F5A.jpeg
    3A36212E-7406-4C2B-963D-269DF08E1F5A.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Wonder where they got the petrol from?
Essential user's allowance, John. A tiny ration given to those who needed to run a car because of the demands of work or other "approved" activities. My father had one because of his responsibility in the running of a large metal producing factory and also his spare-time occupation of local Home Guard platoon C.O. There were a few private cars like that running around but many more were off the road. The father of one of my friends had his car up on blocks in the garage with as many removable items as possible - mudwings, doors, wheels, headlamps and so on - safely stored in the spare bedroom where they wouldn't go rusty.

Chris

Thanks.

Chris

View attachment 177001
If you look with a magnifying glass, on the grill you can see a badge. Only a guess but I'm sure its an Austin.
Sure someone will give us the model.

Nick Phillips

Essential user's allowance, John. A tiny ration given to those who needed to run a car because of the demands of work or other "approved" activities. My father had one because of his responsibility in the running of a large metal producing factory and also his spare-time occupation of local Home Guard platoon C.O. There were a few private cars like that running around but many more were off the road. The father of one of my friends had his car up on blocks in the garage with as many removable items as possible - mudwings, doors, wheels, headlamps and so on - safely stored in the spare bedroom where they wouldn't go rusty.

Chris
Yes, my Dad’s Ford Ten Model C, AHP977, spent the war on blocks in his Uncle Jack’s garage in Oldbury. Dad was in Egypt.

Back