• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Is This Your Motor?

any idea what the shop on the right sells?
It is actually written on the store front (well house furnis is) but not easily read.
Dennis's House Furnishers
71 Bristol Street

I think it was Clarke's Caravans next door.

Last edited:
They did a Flying 8 and 9 around that time Bob, only difference was the size of the engine iirc.
Yes I forgot about the eight, but for some reason always remembered the 9, I think some of the eights were convertibles, unfortunately this Reg No has no traces on Google, as someties you can find an old car's history.
Bob

To avoid getting into trouble [again] for posting car pics on here, can anybody identify the street metal on this page :
I will be putting a bit of text to my pics and it would be good to have them identified correctly. I think the first one is a Vauxhall, the second maybe an Austin, not sure about the van, then there is a Morris Minor but with an interesting station wagon parked behind - an unusual vehicle I would have thought. The there is a Ford Anglia.

To avoid getting into trouble [again] for posting car pics on here, can anybody identify the street metal on this page :
I will be putting a bit of text to my pics and it would be good to have them identified correctly. I think the first one is a Vauxhall, the second maybe an Austin, not sure about the van, then there is a Morris Minor but with an interesting station wagon parked behind - an unusual vehicle I would have thought. The there is a Ford Anglia.
The van is a Standard Ensign.

Bob

1961 Vauxhall Victor FA, Morris Oxford MO series, Standard 6/8/10 Van, Morris Minor (the Estate? unsure, poss Minx III. will return!) Ford Anglia & Austin A55

Last edited:
Bob,might be wrong but thought the Ensign was bigger .
You are right the Ensign was the follow up to the Vanguard, the smaller Standard was the Pennant, thanks for the nudge. I thought the mystery estate was a Minx, certainly it has Minx lower body lines, perhaps it was a one off Minx van conversion, because it has a VP registration which I believe (and again I could be wrong) were usually reserved for commercial vehicles.
Bob

The shy looking nipper IS ME so it must have been an early 1930s I was born in 1933 That is my Grandad standing, my Dad Uncle Tom and Grandma, I still have the AA badge, Dad gave it me years ago. He switched to Rovers later on
Wise choice, Rover. I don't believe I ever had a Morris and I have had many marques over the years.

Back