• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Is This Your Motor?

That's an upmarket one Pete, my brother had an earlier one, he was following a lorry and some bricks fell off, he hit the bricks and they shifted the front suspension and engine all the way back under the driver's seat.
I had an ex army Hillman 'tilly' at the time, we picked the Bond up and shoved it in the back as far as we could get it.

That's an upmarket one Pete, my brother had an earlier one, he was following a lorry and some bricks fell off, he hit the bricks and they shifted the front suspension and engine all the way back under the driver's seat.
I had an ex army Hillman 'tilly' at the time, we picked the Bond up and shoved it in the back as far as we could get it.
the best place for them. dangerous things.

Many years ago my friends Dad worked in a local garage and he told us that a man had brought his reliant in to get it checked over for some problem or other. The garage didn't have a hydraulic ramp, only an inspection pit. I don't know how the conversation went but the owner drove his car in and over the inspection pit. I will leave you to think about the outcome of his action:tired_face::joy:

Used to have inspection pit in the garage I worked in .The wooden beams were old Railway Sleepers weighed a ton,so heavy to lift.

Standard (10?) 7cwt, the Atlas is bigger like the BMC J4
Yes, you're quite correct. Thinking about it I've a feeling the that van,which is a derivative of the Standard 8/10,was known as a Standard Companion, or am I confusing this with the later van,based on the Triumph Herald ?......Mal

Yes, you're quite correct. Thinking about it I've a feeling the that van,which is a derivative of the Standard 8/10,was known as a Standard Companion, or am I confusing this with the later van,based on the Triumph Herald ?......Mal
1582804279499.pngFrom Wikipedia:- An estate (station wagon) version, the Companion, was launched in June 1955 It was among the first small British estate cars to have rear-passenger doors (like the saloon, and unlike its rivals such as the Ford Squire and Hillman Husky which used the two-door "van" arrangement).

Standard Atlas van, and looks like a Singer 1500 behind it …………….both from about mid '50's.......................Mal
The van is a Standard, but not an Atlas which had the driving position alongside the engine.

Attachments

• Atlas_van.jpg
    Atlas_van.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
The van is a Standard, but not an Atlas which had the driving position alongside the engine.
Thanks Lloyd.

It was now also possible to order the van with a diesel engine. The unit in question was a 2,260 cc (138 cu in) 60 hp (44 kW) unit from Massey Ferguson who also installed it in tractors. of which i have 2:)

1582882949988.pngI bought one of these for £15, yes £15 .from a woman in pype hayes. restord it and re sold it to a garden center in castle Bromwich.

Thanks Lloyd.

It was now also possible to order the van with a diesel engine. The unit in question was a 2,260 cc (138 cu in) 60 hp (44 kW) unit from Massey Ferguson who also installed it in tractors. of which i have 2:)
A 20cwt version of the Atlas van was introduced at the 1962 Commercial Motor Show with an extended wheelbase and slightly larger body, plus larger engines, but in September 1963 the Leyland Group renamed the van as the Leyland 20.
Boomy

The car in post 79, an Austin, looks very much like the first car I owned. As recorded elsewhere on BHF I exchanged it for an portable Ever Ready battery radio in 1957. The car model was an Austin 12, of 1935. It seemed to have good mechanics - it never let me down in the months I owned it - not everything else worked however. But it got a few of us RAF types about one summer and we were never challenged by 'the authorities. However in those far off days spy cameras were virtually non-existant, and the authorities had other jobs to be about rather than hounding motorists! I sold it for £25.

west midland gas had these vanswm gas.jpgthey had a pic of a little flame on the side. anyone got a pics of them

Those Ford Anglia vans were great: I have had two of them a green one and a dark blue one. Both had Plymouth registrations WDR and the second ACO with the first of the A suffixes. Devon did not issue the A suffices, they commenced with B as far as I know. The upshot was that I was perpetually asked by people what the A stood for. After a while it became a PITN.
They were a vast improvement it seems on the earlier three forward gear version.
1583065646652.png

Those Ford Anglia vans were great: I have had two of them a green one and a dark blue one. Both had Plymouth registrations WDR and the second ACO with the first of the A suffixes. Devon did not issue the A suffices, they commenced with B as far as I know. The upshot was that I was perpetually asked by people what the A stood for. After a while it became a PITN.
They were a vast improvement it seems on the earlier three forward gear version.
View attachment 142423
I like both models.of vans, and the 107E cars. But not the105E CARS1583066619618.png1583066663762.png

View attachment 142423
There was a man I knew well lived in Durnford Street had a Ford Corsair ACO1A bought itnnew from Vospers. I k ew it because I worked for the finance cou that did the HP Sorry a little bit off thread
Bob

There was a man I knew well lived in Durnford Street had a Ford Corsair ACO1A bought it new from Vospers. I knew it because I worked for the finance company that did the HP Sorry a little bit off thread
Bob
corsair also a good car. i had a v4 model

Back