• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Is this in Birmingham?

July 1914 the Ransom pilgrimage to Erdington Abbey from Osbourne Road...3- 4000 people.

Led by Father Philip Fletcher.
Please eliminate

[Further info on Fr Fletcher...
“By the 1910s prominent church figures were supporting the cause (Votes for women), including the Archbishops of Birmingham, Glasgow and Liverpool, the Bishop of Northampton, the Dominican Bede Jarrett and the Master of the Guild of Our Lady of Ransom, Fr Philip Fletcher....”]

Last edited:
here are carl chinns thoughts...he is none the wiser than we are at the min

It's a cracking photo, Lyn, and I've studied it in detail looking for clues but can find none - other than the shop on the left is C Lee.
Checking my 1908 Kelly's Directory there was a Charlotte Lee newsagent at 100 Dymoke Street and so I thought this might be the annual St Alban's Church Easter parade in Highgate.
However, the location of this shop doesn't match with that of Charlotte Lee in Dymoke Street so I'm stumped.
best wishes

Carl

There is a relatively new Facebook group I have come across called " Unidentified photos of the British Isles Group " I have joined and am going to put that photo on to see if there are any other suggestions

There is a relatively new Facebook group I have come across called " Unidentified photos of the British Isles Group " I have joined and am going to put that photo on to see if there are any other suggestions
Mikejee - As you now know I am a member of this group & it is on that group already. Nobody has a clue. I do have new information which will be posted shortly. But thanks for your interest in this intriguing image.

here are carl chinns thoughts...he is none the wiser than we are at the min

It's a cracking photo, Lyn, and I've studied it in detail looking for clues but can find none - other than the shop on the left is C Lee.
Checking my 1908 Kelly's Directory there was a Charlotte Lee newsagent at 100 Dymoke Street and so I thought this might be the annual St Alban's Church Easter parade in Highgate.
However, the location of this shop doesn't match with that of Charlotte Lee in Dymoke Street so I'm stumped.
best wishes

Carl
My Watersons were newsagents at 100 Dymoke Street on the 1881 census

Found these images on a Manchester site they are described as Whit walks . Late 1800's early 1900's in an article it said that if Sunday schools were organising the Parade, children often made up a large majority of the procession. It was also not unusual for the young girls to lead or be at the front of the parade, followed by other groups in the surrounding area.
I suspect the original image was a similar parade although I have no idea of the location. There is also an early whit walk recording set in Manchester on Youtube pathe news.

Attachments

• whitwalksmanchester.jpg
    whitwalksmanchester.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 23
Trouble is the RC church used to have parades in May for the month of Mary and also Whit parades - I have taken part in local ones many times as a child. Some areas also celebrate local saints days as well. This makes it hard to pin down. It doesn't have to be RC.

Trouble is the RC church used to have parades in May for the month of Mary and also Whit parades - I have taken part in local ones many times as a child. Some areas also celebrate local saints days as well. This makes it hard to pin down. It doesn't have to be RC.
Such a shame that the original picture cannot be placed. I also took part in church parades as a standard bearer for the girl guides.

Four of the standards have small trees or bushes or shrubs fixed to them. All of the standards have plants fixed to their tops. This presumably had some significance to everyone in the parade. Those who arranged the parade knew why they were fixing the plants to the standards.
plants.jpg

Found these images on a Manchester site they are described as Whit walks . Late 1800's early 1900's in an article it said that if Sunday schools were organising the Parade, children often made up a large majority of the procession. It was also not unusual for the young girls to lead or be at the front of the parade, followed by other groups in the surrounding area.
I suspect the original image was a similar parade although I have no idea of the location. There is also an early whit walk recording set in Manchester on Youtube pathe news.
Hi Janet - thanks for your input. I have looked at countless Lancashire Whit Walks previously for this & other reasons. It still comes down to the fact that the houses are Brummie in style. Lancashire is quite different in nuanced ways.

longsite.jpg
A Longsite, Manchester image. The lintels are similar to those in the original photo but the chimneys are quite different.

Back